AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any body else get PO'd at WALMART for only carrying the Full (FOOLSCREEN) Screen versions of the new releases? this week its ALEXANDER.

The add says Directors Cut but its fullscreen...shouldnt the Directors Cut be Widescreen?

Just had to vent!

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan51
Does any body else get PO'd at WALMART for only carrying the Full (FOOLSCREEN) Screen versions of the new releases? this week its ALEXANDER.

The add says Directors Cut but its fullscreen...shouldnt the Directors Cut be Widescreen?

Just had to vent!
Wal-Mart realized it was going to be a bad movie, so they're doing their part to discourage its purchase.

(Wal-Mart may have more than its share of "I hate those black bars!" customers, hence its decision to carry foolscreen versions of some titles. I've always found widescreen versions at Wal-Mart, though, for new titles I wanted.)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Quote:

Just had to vent!
What I'd really like to know is, why do people constantly complain about Walmart and then shop there?

Your money, or your ethics? Savings isn't free.

Choose.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:

Just had to vent!
There are three versions of the DVD. Theatrical Cut (widescreen), Director's Cut (widescreen), and Director's Cut (fullscreen). The fullscreen DC is only one-disc, whereas the widescreen DC is two. I really don't know why, but I don't think any of them are worthy of a purchase..

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocmir
There are three versions of the DVD. Theatrical Cut (widescreen), Director's Cut (widescreen), and Director's Cut (fullscreen). The fullscreen DC is only one-disc, whereas the widescreen DC is two. I really don't know why, but I don't think any of them are worthy of a purchase..
You just hurt Ollie's feelings.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_wallner
What I'd really like to know is, why do people constantly complain about Walmart and then shop there?

Choose.
"Nickel and Dimed" by Barabara Ehrenreich is a good view into why the Prices are low at Walmart.

Walmart and Costco compared here
CEO Salary + Bonus (2004)

Wal-Mart: $5.3 million

Costco: $350,000

Average Pay

Wal-Mart: $9.68/hour

Costco: $16/hour

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why do people complain and still shop there? well for me unfortunately...Walmart is like Starbucks...one on every street corner where I live (sickening) and stores like Best Buy,CC and most other places to purchase DVD's are more than an hour away. I guess I can shop online.

This is America..."build it and they will come"

Also, I do not want to turn this into a Walmart bashing thread, I was a little frustrated and (as I said earlier) needed to vent.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Quote:
Why do people complain and still shop there? well for me unfortunately...Walmart is like Starbucks...one on every street corner where I live (sickening) and stores like Best Buy,CC and most other places to purchase DVD's are more than an hour away. I guess I can shop online.

This is America..."build it and they will come"

Also, I do not want to turn this into a Walmart bashing thread, I was a little frustrated and (as I said earlier) needed to vent.
Vent all you like, but as you said this is America - and you are empowered to vote with your dollar. If you continue to vote for Walmart despite their behavior (and I'm talking about carrying the "wrong" product for you, not selling our nation out to China) then you're directly at fault for your own frustration. I'm not telling you what to do. Just recognize that you're responsible.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:
and I'm talking about carrying the "wrong" product for you, not selling our nation out to China
Um, I don't think that Wal Mart is at fault for that. How exactly did China get their nukes so fast again? And don't they still enjoy the "Most Favored Nation" trade status?

Quote:

Average Pay

Cost to join Costco - $45/year

Cost to join Wal Mart - Free

Besides, Costco can afford to pay more, hardly anybody seems to be working in their stores. Except of course those guys at the exit, they have to hold everybody up to "check" our receipts.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Hey Ronan - Sorry to side-track your thread. I just think there's more to Walmart than low prices (and limited DVD offerings).

Back to your thread.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Remember when Wal-Mart started carrying those "No Black Bars" stickers on pan & scan DVDs a couple years ago? Are they still doing that?

What an absolutely ridiculous idea. Hopefully many of the customers who bought those to have "No Black Bars" now have widescreen tvs, and have returned their discs due to black bars now being on the sides.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun
Cost to join Costco - $45/year

Cost to join Wal Mart - Free

Besides, Costco can afford to pay more, hardly anybody seems to be working in their stores.
:confused:
Worth restating:
Quote:

Average Pay

Hmmm, they work in our Costco. And they seem to be happy.

At Walmart (when I shopped there a few years ago) I always noticed how sad the employees seemed to be.
Quote:
Except of course those guys at the exit, they have to hold everybody up to "check" our receipts.
So you do shop there. ;)

Hey Ronan - Sorry to side-track your thread. I just think there's more to Walmart than low prices (and limited DVD offerings).

Back to your thread.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I admit that I'm not a fan of Wal-mart but my wife loves the place. The only thing I hit in their store is the DVD cheap bin.:)

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:

Just had to vent!
I never really get that far because I can't stand being in the place. Unfortunately I've had to go there a bit lately because our local auto parts stores are into selling stuff besides oil and oil filters (e.g. little go carts, cheap battery operated tools, etc.). But I go in the auto service door which is right near the oil so I don't have to rub up against too many Wal-Mart customers.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Walmart mostly caries widescreen just during the first few weeks of relase once it gos to their IL section or EC,DC sections it almost all fullscreen. Unless the widescreen out sells the fullscreen which ussully only happens with the great movies. Manly becase they are pepole who know the diff of WS Vs FS and they only buy what they really want. Like Star wars for example most pepole bought WS theirfore they sell th WS version.

Also I thnk most walmart shopers don't know the differnce between the two formats and those that do would rather lose picture the have black bars.

It could also be a plot on walmarts part. Get the pepole to buy the FS version only to have them come back for the WS version when the upgrade their TVs.

I am suprized by how many pepole think ws movies are either just For WS TVs or they chop parts of the movie off. I have mangged to turn sevral pepole over to WS who were missinformed about the two. I find explaining scences of movies or show a good picture of how much you lose really explans the two.

As far as pepole complaining about walmart but yet they shop their I think its best put buy the south park ep called somthing wallmart came this way. In which half the town becomes adicted to the low low prices that they are their all the time just buying stuff.

I also think the discount stores like walmart have hurt th HD revoltion. They sell mostly if not all low quilty HD set that look only slightly better then their analong conter parts. And they have workers who no little or nothing about HD. But I hope in a few years walmart will get the better tvs and start to sell them. Although I think walmart has helped some to sell HDTVs. But not as much if they we're good tvs.

Take for example their sanyo HD set with bulit in tunner I belive it sell for like 600 bucks what a deal right. Not relly the tunner is very low quility so many pepole have a though time getting a locked singnal.

Take on the other hand the tv I got fo 1000 bucks the zenith c32v37 not the best tv buy any means but the tunner is much better I'm able to keep a strong lock of 85%-99% on all channels with only a 10db trek antenna of all things.

But I shop at walmart becase the prices can't be beat. I men their movies that are widescreen are some times 50% cheeper then BB or CC. Have you ever dug thew the 5.50 bin their are are some good deals in their. I got all 3 beverly hills cop movies in WS. They sell as a Box set for 30 AT BB. Also got all 3 naked gun movies in their sevral clint eastwood movies and stallone movies.

So in conclosin even thow some pepole get burned buy walmart the savings and convince facter (a walmart on ever cornner) out weigh the negitives. I just don't like how the CEOs owners keep getting richer and give little or no money back to the poor employes. But I supose they got to pay for their gold plated dimamond encrusred toothbrush some how.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Easy to bash Walmart but I'll be the first to admit I do most of my casual shopping there. In many small to mid-size towns they are either the only game in town or one of a scant few, in my case Walmart and Kmart. Kmart usually charges a little more and have fewer people at the cash registers. I'm also a big fan of the $5.50 bin, and these days there are displays with movies just a dollar or two higher and even a few with prices under the $5 mark.

As was stated before, we vote with our dollar, and I know lots of people who despise the chain. I'm just not one of 'em. No Costcos, no Targets, no Frys anywhere close to me, so why should I feel inclined to use my voting dollars in stores that don't want my business badly enough to make themselves easilly accessible for me as a consumer?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_wallner

Choose.
Where else can you see fat women beating their kids ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm22721
Where else can you see fat women beating their kids ?
LOL...that's a great one. I can't stand Walmart. It's like Night of the Living Dead in there. I feel out of place because I'm the only one in there with a full set of teeth. I'd rather pay more at another store than walk into that place.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.