AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Revel Performa speakers for my front 3 channels (pair of F30's and C30). I also have a Revel B15 sub.

My rear speakers are the weak link in the chain. A pair of JMLab Cobalt rears. In addition to being the weak link they obviously are not a match for the Revel's.

I was considering upgrading to a 7.1 configuration, but to do so I would need to put the rear speakers in the ceiling . To my knowledge Revel does not make a speaker for an in-ceiling application. I've been considering the following options and wanted the opinions of people that may have similar issues or experience with a 7.1 set-up:

1) Buy a pair of Revel S30's for the sides and leave my speaker configuration at 5.1.

2) Buy a pair of Revel S30's for the sides and purchase an in-ceiling pair for the rears from another manufacturer.

3) Buy a pair for the sides and rears from the same manufacturer (not Revel) - potentially a pair for in-wall for the sides and in-ceiling for the rears. I was considering the Boston Acoustics VRi series, but am unfamiliar with the quality of their speakers and whether they would be a good match for the Revels.

Any opinions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try Triad. They match quite good with revel. The Bronze or silver series could be good for side speakers. And they have in wall series also.

Bye

·
Registered
Marantz SR5015, Epson projector, Focal Cobalt 816 speakers
198 Posts
I am using the JMlab Cobalt 816's as my front speakers. I planed on getting the Cobalt surround speakers for the rear. Why do you call them a "weak link"? Do they sound poor?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Question on the general topic of side and rear speakers: In a 7.1 config, if you are using two different pairs of speakers, should the better ones be used on the sides or in the rears? I'm assuming the lesser speakers could be used for rear speakers, but as it is very important to have a high quality front center channel, I wasn't certain if the back "centers" might be more important than they appear at first glance.

Tom B.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Tom,

"should the better ones be used on the sides or in the rears? I'm assuming the lesser speakers could be used for rear speakers"

You are correct. The sides should be the better matching (to the front) speakers. Our hearing to the sides is closer to our hearing in the front then our hearing to the rear is.

Shawn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.