AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI. Mentioned this in the owner's thread but didn't get reply. I wanted to maybe explain a little better:

Recently picked up the Samsung 75" F7100. Had pretty good reviews across all sizes and the set in the store looked decent. My assumption was that it would look better in my home.

Long story short - I'm wondering if I have a defective set. The picture just won't cooperate. There are times when it looks ok, but I don't think it's "good", and certainly not worth the price tag.

My primary question at this point - at what point should the side viewing angle be "bad". This is one of the primary reasons I think the set we got is bad. If we pause a show and we're standing about 8-10 feet from the set dead center, the picture starts to wash out as we step to our right. It's washed out (white haze?) by the time we've reached the edge of the set (again - about 8-10 feet away) and extremely washed out by the time we're 1-2 feet to the right of the screen. And of course it looks horrendous from the kitchen.

So, should pictures start to wash out that quickly? Doesn't seem right to me.

(side note - when changing channels or inputs, obviously clouding issues on a large portion of the set when the screen is black...not sure if that is related)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
17,954 Posts
That's referred to as off-axis viewing and some tv panels do a better job than others. TV's in the store are set to what's called Torch Mode which is basically adjusting the settings so that they are over-bright and glarish to grab your attention. The stores lighting also can have an affect on what you see. Most people will start adjusting their pq once they get it home to more pleasing settings. Either by eye-ball, using a calibration disk to adjust the settings to REC.709 standard or actually doing a real calibration with light meters and software. Every tv is different. Some look great right out of the box, others need some attention to get the pq right. However, an adjustment or calibration won't take care of poor off-axis viewing. That's usually a function of the type of panel. Keep in mind that the larger the panel is, the more noticeable the problems are.

The point at where off-axis viewing is bad is dependent, in part, on what you expect in relationship to your normal seating when viewing your tv.

Clouding may be a different issue.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and info. I'm going to give it a week or so while I try to make adjustments. But if I'm not successful, I may just have them send a tech out to take a look. They told me I had 45 days to return or exchange, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks again for the reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts