AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there soundbar setups where the speakers attach to the sides of
a TV screen, rather than sitting underneath or above? Does that result in more realistic "center imaging" for the sound?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yes and no. A soundbar is usually 3 or five channels, so it would have 3 or 5 speaker inputs (for a passive SB). You can get any number of LCR speakers that could be used in the configuration you describe. These speakers are single channel, and as such you would need to purchase three of them: one for the left, one for the center, and one for the right. LCR speakers are also referred to as "on wall" speakers and are available from many speakers companies.

Reactions: Phrehdd

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
The classic configuration on early HDTVs flat panels was always superior, IMO. Forward firing speakers on Left and Right of Screen (often removable = basically sound bars).

Reactions: Digital Rules

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Are there soundbar setups where the speakers attach to the sides of
a TV screen, rather than sitting underneath or above? Does that result in more realistic "center imaging" for the sound?
Anyways check out the Samsung E550 from 2012. It's kind of like what you are talking about.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Three mono speakers won't do it:
the goal here is to have dialog come from speakers on either side of the screen, so it
seems to come from the center of the screen, rather then from below the screen.

For my purposes something on a stand would be fine also: it need not actually attach to the TV.

The Samsung E550 seems to be a TV, but the HW-E550 was a side by side front firing speaker,
discontinued.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
There's also the Philips Fidelio E5, which has been sold in Europe and Asia for a year, and is supposed to make it here.

The E5 is a 4.1 system, with an enhanced phantom center channel. It consists of two mini towers with detachable, wireless tops that become rear channels. The towers themselves (either used as a stereo pair, or with the surrounds detached) are placed on both sides of the display.

Most reviews are very positive, and I think better than the Samsung. It also is a true surround system...though with the phantom center, rather than a dedicated center driver.

The virtue of such a system is that you get a wider L-R separation than is possible with any soundbar. The tradeoff is that phantom centers tend to sound better when sitting more or less center, in the "sweet spot."

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Didnt know about that one.

The Vizio 54" Wireless surround soundbar probably gives you just as much separation though.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Didnt know about that one.

The Vizio 54" Wireless surround soundbar probably gives you just as much separation though.
I don't know if that's true. You can move the Philips further than the 54" width of the Vizio, and every bit of extra width increases separation. The Vizio will have a stronger center, though, given the presence of the dedicated driver.

The Fidelio also uses soft dome tweeters, rather than relying on the single full range driver, so you get better clarity and high end.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I don't know if that's true. You can move the Philips further than the 54" width of the Vizio, and every bit of extra width increases separation. The Vizio will have a stronger center, though, given the presence of the dedicated driver.

The Fidelio also uses soft dome tweeters, rather than relying on the single full range driver, so you get better clarity and high end.
The farther you move them apart the less convincing center channel. But it is flexible to be tweaked.

I love soft dome tweeters.

I love tweeters but have come to appreciate (some) full range cones for their point source localization of combined mids & highs.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
The farther you move them apart the less convincing center channel. But it is flexible to be tweaked.

I love soft dome tweeters.

I love tweeters but have come to appreciate (some) full range cones for their point source localization of combined mids & highs.
That's the intriguing thing about the Fidelio. It's been reviewed with the speakers set well apart, further than the 54" of the Vizio, and its enhanced center apparently holds up very well. I wish it were a true 5.1 device, but even in its 4.1 incarnation it's still pretty good.

I'm also a fan of full range drivers, hence my interest in the full range Walsh, planar speakers, and BMRs (balanced mode radiators). You can avoid phase effects, crossover distortion, and other acoustical artifacts with full range. But it all depends upon circumstance. If you have to give up the top end, which can happen with less expensive implementations of full range, it may not be worth it.

By the way, have you heard about the Kvart & Bolge Sommeliers? They were reviewed on CNet, and also by early adopters on Amazon. These are inexpensive full range minitowers with impressive sound.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
That's the intriguing thing about the Fidelio. It's been reviewed with the speakers set well apart, further than the 54" of the Vizio, and its enhanced center apparently holds up very well. I wish it were a true 5.1 device, but even in its 4.1 incarnation it's still pretty good.

I'm also a fan of full range drivers, hence my interest in the full range Walsh, planar speakers, and BMRs (balanced mode radiators). You can avoid phase effects, crossover distortion, and other acoustical artifacts with full range. But it all depends upon circumstance. If you have to give up the top end, which can happen with less expensive implementations of full range, it may not be worth it.

By the way, have you heard about the Kvart & Bolge Sommeliers? They were reviewed on CNet, and also by early adopters on Amazon. These are inexpensive full range minitowers with impressive sound.
Ill have to check them out. Thanks.

Yeah, classic Ohm-Walsh speakers are really cool.

·
Registered
655 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Call me an old school classicist but I like the Realistic Minimus 7 and 77s.

I liked the old days when Pioneer and Panny Pro Plasmas provided speaker outs which you could hook up their optional panel mounted speakers or your choice of custom picked speakers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts