AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering di-pole speakers for my side channel and because of the way my room is laid out I think I will have to put the side channel speakers on the ceiling to keep them equidistant from the main seating area.

My question is whether equidistance is a concern or not if one is using a quality amp? If they go on the wall one will be literally less than two feet from the main listening position and the other would be twelve feet or so ( I have a strange room layout) If I hung them up on the ceiling I could do more about having them be equidistant from the listening position.

So… is this something I should or should not think about doing?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Volume levels can easily be controlled by proper calibration but, you may run into some delay problems, if you receiver/pre-pro doesn't allow you to set speaker distance on each channel. I hung dipole speakers on ceiling with no real issues. They actually looked better on the ceiling than hung on walls. Polk Audio RT/FX models.

Dennis

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Just don't put them too close to the ceiling. Recommended height is 1 meter above the listener's head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is just the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you to everyone for the GREAT information!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Drew Eckhardt
Although you can adjust for volume and time delay, you can't affect the balance of direct and reflected sound. Hang your speakers from the ceiling.

I did this for my side surrounds:

http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/image...ound-small.jpg
Hey Drew,

Where did you get that mount? Is it an extension rod for a ceiling fan, or specifically designed for speakers?

I am going to run into a similar problem when I move into my new home in March. Was planning to use In-ceiling speakers for the Surround Backs, since I now have the ability to wire the 6th and 7th channel.

My concern was the sloped cathedral ceiling, (one speaker would be about 1'-6" higher than the other, plus adding a different type/brand of speaker to the set-up for the backs.

I may now get the same speakers as my soon to be side surrounds, rather than look for in-ceiling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.