AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm finally about to move into my new house and getting ready to place the order for speakers. I'm still going back and forth about the side surrounds though. They will be placed at 90deg in an Atmos setup. They will be about 2ft from the ends of the sofa, so about 2.5ft from ears at the side positions on the sofa.

I'm going with an all Triad Bronze package. Should I get the surrounds in a bipole configuration or should I get the Sats. Is the directional audio going to be too much for the listeners at the sides of the sofa? For Atmos, it seems that bipoles are not recommended and I'm also going to be putting in acoustic panels, so would that affect the way the bipoles work?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
So I'm finally about to move into my new house and getting ready to place the order for speakers. I'm still going back and forth about the side surrounds though. They will be placed at 90deg in an Atmos setup. They will be about 2ft from the ends of the sofa, so about 2.5ft from ears at the side positions on the sofa.

I'm going with an all Triad Bronze package. Should I get the surrounds in a bipole configuration or should I get the Sats. Is the directional audio going to be too much for the listeners at the sides of the sofa? For Atmos, it seems that bipoles are not recommended and I'm also going to be putting in acoustic panels, so would that affect the way the bipoles work?
5.x.x or 7.x.x and how much space is open behind you to fill with sound?
While bi-poles are typically not recommended for Atmos, I've found that in the bed layer of speakers it really isn't much different than deciding if you should use bi-poles or not in a non Atmos situation.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
They will be placed at 90deg in an Atmos setup. They will be about 2ft from the ends of the sofa, so about 2.5ft from ears at the side positions on the sofa.

I'm going with an all Triad Bronze package. Should I get the surrounds in a bipole configuration or should I get the Sats.
Sitting that close to side surrounds I would go with bipoles and mount them a bit above ear level as well. I have wide dispersion monopoles as side surrounds but they are at least 4 1/2 feet away from my ears and I've got them mounted another couple of feet above them as well. (Doing Atmos you'd want to keep them lower than that.)

[quote/] Is the directional audio going to be too much for the listeners at the sides of the sofa? [/quote]

I think so. At 2 feet away. Yes. Bipoles and the bit higher mounting should help though.

[quote/] For Atmos, it seems that bipoles are not recommended and I'm also going to be putting in acoustic panels, so would that affect the way the bipoles work? [/quote]

I've read that as well but I would be more concerned with the proximity of the side surrounds and with ways to minimize that closeness. Bipole's are a way to help sitting that close. I've even heard about an RBH Atmos demo that used an in wall bipole speaker array as top Atmos speakers and the listener's were blown away by the demo so I'd take these things more as recommendations than any hard and fast rule. As to the acoustic panels affecting the bipoles again I wouldn't worry about it unless you were going to deaden your whole room with treatments which isn't a good idea with or without bipoles. My vote is bipoles due to the side surrounds closeness to the MLP for what it's worth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5.x.x or 7.x.x and how much space is open behind you to fill with sound?
While bi-poles are typically not recommended for Atmos, I've found that in the bed layer of speakers it really isn't much different than deciding if you should use bi-poles or not in a non Atmos situation.
It will be in a 5.2.4 setup. the rear wall is about 4 ft away, but it doesn't have enough space for rear surrounds. The wall only goes across half the room and there is a door at a diagonal after that.

Sitting that close to side surrounds I would go with bipoles and mount them a bit above ear level as well. I have wide dispersion monopoles as side surrounds but they are at least 4 1/2 feet away from my ears and I've got them mounted another couple of feet above them as well. (Doing Atmos you'd want to keep them lower than that.)

[quote/] Is the directional audio going to be too much for the listeners at the sides of the sofa?
I think so. At 2 feet away. Yes. Bipoles and the bit higher mounting should help though.

[quote/] For Atmos, it seems that bipoles are not recommended and I'm also going to be putting in acoustic panels, so would that affect the way the bipoles work? [/quote]

I've read that as well but I would be more concerned with the proximity of the side surrounds and with ways to minimize that closeness. Bipole's are a way to help sitting that close. I've even heard about an RBH Atmos demo that used an in wall bipole speaker array as top Atmos speakers and the listener's were blown away by the demo so I'd take these things more as recommendations than any hard and fast rule. As to the acoustic panels affecting the bipoles again I wouldn't worry about it unless you were going to deaden your whole room with treatments which isn't a good idea with or without bipoles. My vote is bipoles due to the side surrounds closeness to the MLP for what it's worth.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the bipoles, but its alway nice to hear other opinions and inputs. I'll be doing all in-wall/in-ceiling Triad bronze speakers.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
[quote/] Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the bipoles, but its alway nice to hear other opinions and inputs. I'll be doing all in-wall/in-ceiling Triad bronze speakers. [/quote]
You're welcome and good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts