AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for recommendation for side surround speakers that fit into a rather limited physical placement. To the sides of my four theatre chairs to right is a brick fireplace and to the left is a foyer. A bannister railing of 2x2 posts separates the foyer from the great room/theatre.

I don't think I want the side surround speakers on the foyer wall since it would be projecting partially into a hallway. I don't think I have any choice but to put the left surround between the 4x4 end post and the first 2x2 post. This would be at ear level about two feet forward of the listening position. So the speaker can't be too deep - maybe 4" at the most. There is 7 1/4" between the end 4x4 and the first 2x2.

The placement on the other side would be just to the side of the brick fireplace.

Now .. it seems to me that practically perfect for this is a "sound bar" type speaker, but they are typically designed for center speakers and usually available as part of a package of HT speakers.

Any suggestions on what would work well here?

The front speakers are Infinity 2-way RS5 floor. Center is Infinity PC350. Rear surround are Polk Audio FXi3W and subwoofer is a Mirage BPS-150. Receiver is a Denon AVR-2310CI.

·
Registered
994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by publicpersona /forum/post/18223862

I am looking for recommendation for side surround speakers that fit into a rather limited physical placement. To the sides of my four theatre chairs to right is a brick fireplace and to the left is a foyer. A bannister railing of 2x2 posts separates the foyer from the great room/theatre.

I don't think I want the side surround speakers on the foyer wall since it would be projecting partially into a hallway. I don't think I have any choice but to put the left surround between the 4x4 end post and the first 2x2 post. This would be at ear level about two feet forward of the listening position. So the speaker can't be too deep - maybe 4" at the most. There is 7 1/4" between the end 4x4 and the first 2x2.

The placement on the other side would be just to the side of the brick fireplace.

Now .. it seems to me that practically perfect for this is a "sound bar" type speaker, but they are typically designed for center speakers and usually available as part of a package of HT speakers.

The front speakers are Infinity 2-way RS5 floor. Center is Infinity PC350. Rear surround are Polk Audio FXi3W and subwoofer is a Mirage BPS-150. Receiver is a Denon AVR-2310CI.

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but one side of my listening room is open to the rest of the house, and the room layout prevents me from positioning my surround speakers (have 4 sourrounds in a 7.1 layout) at ear level.

I ended up mounting my surrounds suspended from the ceiling, angled downward and toward the primary listening position. My ceiling is 9.5' high, so the speakers do not interfere with people's heads. This is shown in the attached photo.

Thanks

Bruce

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega /forum/post/18227274

I ended up mounting my surrounds suspended from the ceiling, angled downward and toward the primary listening position. My ceiling is 9.5' high, so the speakers do not interfere with people's heads.

Hmm .. that could work I could even have them suspended a bit lower since the railing precludes walking into them.

Recommendation for a mounting bracket that could suspend speakers at an angle about three feet from the ceiling?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by publicpersona /forum/post/18223862

I'm really ready to install some side speakers, but have no idea what would work best in this scenario. Something along a sound bar attached to the railings, but sounds bars are typically designed for centers. Suspending from the ceiling would work too, but need some recommendations for where to shop for that hardware/speakers - PM if necessary. Thanks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You know, you could always get a floor speaker stand - one of those skinny ones - paint it to match your ceiling, and then mount it to the ceiling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts