AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am finally upgrading my 5.1 to 7.1 and possibly 7.2 in the near future. I currently have Sony satellite speakers mounted high and angled toward the viewing locations. I will be moving to in-wall speakers for the fronts and rears, and thought I could run in-walls for the sides, but the header panel above the picture window is not going to be an easy install. My question is, can I use in-wall for fronts and rears and in-ceiling rounds for the surrounds? The room is 28' long by about 13' across and the tv viewing is along the long axis of the room. The main seating areas are about 14' from the fronts and 12' from the rears (which will both be mounted high).

Also, about the 6" in-walls and 8" in-walls, which should be up front? I've read that the bigger ones need to be on the opposite side of the room as the subwoofer (in my case the sub is up front). Does it matter which go where? And if I'm going to go round in-ceiling for the sides, what size (6" or 8")? Everything is being powered by my new Sony STR-DN850. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
First off, L, C and R speakers should be the largest, most capable speakers you have. That says put the 8's up front.

Doing side surrounds in the ceiling is not ideal, but well within the range of acceptable options. The big concern for sides is always distance from the listening position (close is bad; you hear the speaker), especially with such long front and rear distances.

I'm more concerend that you're mounting the in-wall speakers high, not at seated ear level. At least I would be, if not for the 10+' listening distances.

That leaves the single concern of the center channel... you will have a CC, won't you? That's about the only problem left that the AVR can't handle.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frank, yes I do have a center channel. It is going in-wall just beneath the TV. I do have one question about your response. You state: "I'm more concerend that you're mounting the in-wall speakers high, not at seated ear level. At least I would be, if not for the 10+' listening distances." Does this mean that because my listening distance is greater than 10' the height of the fronts and rears don't matter as much? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Most speakers are designed with an optimum "axis." It's typically the tweeter axis, as you can't do anything about dispersion above the tweeter crossover (besides redesign the tweeter). Best practice places speakers so the tweeters are at a seated ear level, so you watch movies sitting on the speaker's acoustic axis.

As you get off-axis, speaker frequency response frequently degrades. You get dips around crossover points, and high's fall off. But, that all occurs as a function of angle, and the farther you are away, the smaller the angle.

The comment just reflects the fact that at 10' listening distance, you can't get as far off-axis as you can if you were 5' away. There's nothing special about 10'...

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, upon further review, I have 2 options for surround speaker placement and neither are optimal. I can put 8" 2-way round speakers in either the ceiling or in the wall high above the seating position. Which is preferable?

Also, Fred the in-wall fronts and rears have tweeters that can pivot to an extent so I am thinking I'll be ok with the height.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Surrounds aren't as critical for HT set-up. Pivoting tweeters is a nice feature that you can adjust if you think there's a hole in the treble range.

enjoy!
Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts