AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a Sidecar for my Monty IRD. I recall hearing that the original Sidecar wouldn't be compatible with an HDD 220 HDTV module and I'd need the 922 4DTV to have full upgrade options.

Well, I was pleased to learn from KUSAT.com that their Sidecar "905" *would* be compatible with the HDD201 module. So I ordered the 905 and got this

bit of advice from them:

"You are correct and wrong about the Sidecar and the HDD: It will work, but if you get the HDD from us, you will need a special cable made of the following parts as the cable provided w/ the HDD is only for Star Choice receivers. Let me know if this changes your order:

From a previous client who found the solution:

"the solution was to buy two F-to-1/8" mono phone jack adapters (Radio

Shack #278-267) and use a good quality piece of RG6 cable between the units.

Actually, I have since replaced the RG6 with RG59...."

Please clarify for me: what did the vendor mean by "if you get the 905 from us...." Are there different kinds of 905?

And the patch he offered (absent a Star Choice rcvr): I am a ham and I solder coax without troubles, but is that a reliable fix for the (apparently superficial) incompatibility?

Thanks!

Dean

·
Registered
463 Posts
The 920/922 4DTV receivers and the Navigo 401 series StarChoice receivers have a DB-9 connector that supplies the data output to the HDD200. Motorola used a DB9 on these receivers because they had some notion that this data port might be used for other things. In fact, however, it is not. The HDD200 HDTV converter only uses two signal lines (signal and ground), and its input connector is for a standard 1/8" mono phone plug. Thus the "standard" cable between a 920/922/401 and an HDD200 has a DB9 connector at one end, and a 1/8" mono phone plug at the other. If you buy an HDD from Canada, you will get this standard cable in the box.

Since the HDD200 only uses two signal lines and there isn't, in fact, any other use for the data output from a DCII receiver, the 905 sidecar dispenses with the DB9 connector, and simply uses a standard phone jack to output a signal to the HDD200. To connect the HDD200 to the sidecar, you just need a cable with 1/8" phone plugs at both ends. It doesn't come in the box, but $3 worth of parts from Radio Shack will do nicely.

All sidecar (905) units are exactly the same; all of them have just a standard phone jack output for the data connection to an HDD200. Cheaper to manufacture than the DB9 connector, and since there wasn't any other use for the data out port anyway, Motorola got rid of the DB9 connector on the sidecar. The phone jack connection works fine. Don't worry, be happy.

John C.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.