AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that this forum tends to focus on the high end but I figured this might be worth while to some.

Somebody is trying to put out an add on that gives infrared controls to Roku, Apple TV, and Fire TV remotes. I thought that those who access everything through their streamer might be interested.

I figured with voice search on the Fire TV and new Roku 3 it might make a better option some, or their younger kids that they may not feel comfortable leaving the high end remote with.

Sideclick

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1895389752/sideclick-streamline-your-streaming-experience?ref=discovery

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Umm... Roku already works with IR, and so does Apple TV. FireTV can with a cheap IR dongle. Then add the universal of your choice ($3 and up), and you've got a no compromises remote solution that's nowhere near as kludgy as this. No need for a high end remote for any of this. Cable TV remote works fine.

I wish them luck, but they're solving a problem that's already been solved.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umm... Roku already works with IR, and so does Apple TV. FireTV can with a cheap IR dongle. Then add the universal of your choice ($3 and up), and you've got a no compromises remote solution that's nowhere near as kludgy as this. No need for a high end remote for any of this. Cable TV remote works fine.
The objective (for my planed use case) is not to be able to control a Roku, Apple TV, or Fire TV by IR, as you have already stated that has already been possible. It is to give voice search remotes the ability to control TV and or sound systems.

The pure IR approach of a universal remote does come with a compromise, the loss of voice search.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts