Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am aware of "rain fade" causing signal degradation during rainy weather and that temporary, total loss of signal is likely during very heavy downpours.

This morning, my area (Central NJ) is receiving moderate and occassionally heavy downpours. I flipped to the signal strength monitor on my Hughes Exec Director Pack receiver and noticed that the signal strength is bouncing all over the place. It literally jumps from 80+ one second to 30 (or lower) the next. Is this sudden variation in signal strength normal during rainstorms? I can understand the signal rising and falling due to rain intensity, but the rainfall has been fairly constant so the jumping around is unexpected.

BTW, on my 2 Sony UTVs, the history is loaded with "changed tuners" entries over the last couple of hours. Overall, the Hughes reciever seems to be handling the rain/signal degradation better than the Sony UTVs.

My installation is less than 2 weeks old and I want to know if this type of signal behavior indicates that something is "missing" from the installation?

Configuration:

1. 18" Dish w/Dual LNB - dish grounded directly to house ground/ LNB outputs attached to grounding block which is attached to house ground

2. 3x8 Multiswitch - 5 output ports in use/no terminators in remaining ports

3. 2 Sony UTVs - each using both tuners/each about 50' RG6 cable from switch

4. 1 Hughes Exec Director Pack - 100' RG6 run from switch

Any suggestions on whether this is normal?

TIA,

SteveK

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveK2
Hi All,

I am aware of "rain fade" causing signal degradation during rainy weather and that temporary, total loss of signal is likely during very heavy downpours. ...
Here in FLA where we get a LOT of HEAVY rain, I've found that signal strength is more a function of cloud tops than rain volume.. In other words, the change in signal strength (delta) is much higher when the cloud tops go to 35,000 - 45,000 ft (a typical FL thunderstorm), than those little 10,000 - 15,000 ft ones...

In fact it's known down here for you to lose your signal 5 minutes or so before the t-storm comes rolling in (before the rain), and for you to get it back during the cells hardest rainfall (as most of the cloud has now passed).

-old

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

Normally, my signal strength on all transponders is 90+ with 3 or 4 usually @100.

Pretty sure I found the problem......a couple of tree branches from behind the dish bent forward and down from the weight of the wet leaves and from the wind coming behind the dish. So there was one branch hanging over the top of the dish. A gust of wind and it went directly in front the dish. The other branch was touching the cables in the back. Oh, BTW, the variability in signal strength continued even long after the rain had stopped and clearing had begun.

Now, I've clipped the branches way back and steady signal has returned.

This is the first time we've had strong winds from behind the dish since it was installed about 2 weeks.

Thanks again for the info!!

Regards,

SteveK

·
Registered
315 Posts
When I had Dish, I had the DISH 500 round 20" dish. During heavy rainstorms I would occasionally lose signal. When I change to DTV, I substituted my 20" dish with a round 24" dish (cost

The 18" dish, IMHO, is a little to small if you live in an area with heavy ranistorms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.