AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 3 splitters (on 3 floors) connecting to 6 TVs (2 Digital boxes, 4 Coax Analogue) and x2 12db Amplifier's (1 in the basement where the cable comes from , and 1 on the 3rd floor)

all my Video On Demand (VOD) channels do not work (said loading failed) cable company said everything is fine on their end and they would send a technician .... ( i think its a lack of power)

I believe its a lack of power/signal str......

1. VOD channels do not work

2. Bedroom TVs seem's abit grainy/snowy (anolouge cable)

Would removing the 2nd amp and replacing 1st amp with a stronger amp fix this??

links/pm me

THXS IN ADVANCEEEEE

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
The amplifiers must have a return path. VOD, PPV operates in the 5-42MHz return path, so there needs to be a pathway for the signals from the box(es) to get back to the cable company.

Any particular reason you have 2 amplifiers? You could be overdriving the 2nd amplifier, which could produce noisy pictures.

How exactly is your system setup?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basement (incoming cable from outside)

12db Amplifier/Booster connected directly to main cable from outside

Split after amp to mainfloor (both splits)

1 cable goes from mainfloor split to ANOTHER SPLIT to 2 main floor tvs

then a split upstairs (bedrooms) for 3 tvs and an ANOTHER amp inbetween... (without this 2nd amp i get no signal at all in the bedrooms)

I BELIEVE THIS CHEAP AMPS DO NOT ALLOW VOD SERVICES TO WORK .... video on demand services ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/14243578

The amplifiers must have a return path. VOD, PPV operates in the 5-42MHz return path, so there needs to be a pathway for the signals from the box(es) to get back to the cable company.

Any particular reason you have 2 amplifiers? You could be overdriving the 2nd amplifier, which could produce noisy pictures.

How exactly is your system setup?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchemasi /forum/post/14243864

Basement (incoming cable from outside)

12db Amplifier/Booster connected directly to main cable from outside

Split after amp to mainfloor (both splits)

1 cable goes from mainfloor split to ANOTHER SPLIT to 2 main floor tvs

then a split upstairs (bedrooms) for 3 tvs and an ANOTHER amp inbetween... (without this 2nd amp i get no signal at all in the bedrooms)

I BELIEVE THIS CHEAP AMPS DO NOT ALLOW VOD SERVICES TO WORK .... video on demand services ....

So the amp is in the basement? No TV sets there and both legs of a 2-way splitter go up to the main floor to different locations? One of the locations has just a TV set while the other has a TV set and a 2-way splitter, with one leg of that 2-way splitter going upstairs where there is another amp that feeds a 3-way splitter (3 TV sets)? Is that an accurate description? If not, please describe accurately.

That 12dB gain amp most likely does not have a return path. Quite possibly the 10dB gain one as well. Take a look at these amps: http://www.cencom94.com/gpage4.html

It would be best if you could homerun everything to the amp in the basement, or at least homerun the splitter on the top floor to the basement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As of now, all my channels work fine on all tv's... it could be better but i dont care.

My main concern is VOD on my digital cable box (VIDEO ON DEMAND) this does not work properly... i need a bi-directional amp i think ... or 2 and replace my 2 old amps ...

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchemasi /forum/post/14245025

As of now, all my channels work fine on all tv's... it could be better but i dont care.

My main concern is VOD on my digital cable box (VIDEO ON DEMAND) this does not work properly... i need a bi-directional amp i think ... or 2 and replace my 2 old amps ...

Which TVs have the DCTs? The ones on the main floor? If so, just get one of the aforementioned amps and they should be fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/14245290

Which TVs have the DCTs? The ones on the main floor? If so, just get one of the aforementioned amps and they should be fine.

Any specific recommendations on a bi-directional amp? THis Motorola Signal Booster specifically states it supports VOD and Digital Boxes and Modems ...

but its $100 and doesnt ship to canada

passive? active? im confused ....

plz link to 1 that would work for sure, i cant find any that ship to canada and for a reasonable price

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
You should only use special amplifliers that are designed for low noise and support bi-directional cable for PPV, etc features.

I have had good results with the Electroline model amplifiers available with or without internal splitter outputs. I got some at good prices on ebay.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchemasi /forum/post/14245815

Any specific recommendations on a bi-directional amp? THis Motorola Signal Booster specifically states it supports VOD and Digital Boxes and Modems ...

but its $100 and doesnt ship to canada

passive? active? im confused ....

plz link to 1 that would work for sure, i cant find any that ship to canada and for a reasonable price

Either of those (single output) at http://www.cencom94.com/gpage4.html should do fine. They will ship to Canada. Just need to ask them for a shipping rate. Free shipping is just for the continental U.S.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After aloooot of research i found out i need a Digital Bidirectional Amplifier/Signal Booster so cable modems and digital cable boxes work (VOD features aswell)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Ayush here. This is my first post in this forum.

You will have to use a stronger Amplifier, may have to use better signal cables. What type of video out you receive from your receiver? Is that Composite, Component or S-video?

Which ever one it is, please follow the link and you will get what you require.

extron dot com( i am not allowed to post URL's )

www extron com/product/listbytype.aspx?subtype=31

Copy the above, put dots where required and paste it on your browser window.

If you have any doubts, please feel free to get back to me.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchemasi /forum/post/14249161

After aloooot of research i found out i need a Digital Bidirectional Amplifier/Signal Booster so cable modems and digital cable boxes work (VOD features aswell)

Yes thats correct. Check out the Electroline models, they work well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am using S-VIDEO ....

PS*** DO I NEED BIDIRECTIONAL SPLITTERS ASWELL? IM USING $3 no name splitters ....

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchemasi /forum/post/14250908

I am using S-VIDEO ....

PS*** DO I NEED BIDIRECTIONAL SPLITTERS ASWELL? IM USING $3 no name splitters ....

S-Video has nothing to do with R.F. distribution.

Splitters must have a bandwidth of 5 to 1000MHz. If you want to use some that go higher, you can, but it would be a waste of money. They should have specs comparable to the ones here: http://www.cencom94.com/gpage.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let me rephrase my question ....

I KNOW i need a BIDIRECTIONAL Amp for Digital boxes (for VOD services/HD channels), do i also need a bidirectional splitter? (they speficially say bidirectional on the splitter)...

so that my VOD services work (they currently dont with a normal $10 amp and $3 splitters)

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchemasi /forum/post/14251781

Let me rephrase my question ....

I KNOW i need a BIDIRECTIONAL Amp for Digital boxes (for VOD services/HD channels), do i also need a bidirectional splitter? (they speficially say bidirectional on the splitter)...

so that my VOD services work (they currently dont with a normal $10 amp and $3 splitters)

ALL splitters are bi-directional by mere design. The splitter doesn't care which direction signal flows. As mentioned earlier, the return path in CATV systems is 5-42MHz. If a splitter (or other device) has a bandwidth of 5-1000MHz, then I think it is fairly safe to assume that the 5-42MHz return path falls into that range. It doesn't matter if the label specifically says "Bidirectional" on it. That just means they can sell it for more because some people think that a 5-1000MHz splitter that has the word "Bidirectional" on the label is somehow different than a 5-1000MHz splitter that doesn't have that word on the label. As long as bandwidth of the splitter goes down to 5MHz, it will pass the return path, which, for your purposes, is bidirectional.

(None of the splitters Comcast or Time-Warner or Cox or Rogers uses say "Bidirectional" on them.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts