AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious but what should I receive in terms of signal strength when adjusting an oval dish for the DirecTV 119 sat in the Cleveland area? My installer (the 5th person) finally got it right. I see high 80's and 90's for the 101 sat but only 50's and 60's for the 119 sat. He said that this is the best of what I can get in terms of signal strength for the 119 sat. During a recent storm, I had no problem with 101 but lost picture on 119 HD demo channel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I live in California and have 95 for 101 and 86 for 119. I know it's not the same area but it's just a guide line. Good luck...

Dave

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I got a tree partially in the way and it started at 58 and is now down to 38. It still works fine.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Alex:
Just curious but what should I receive in terms of signal strength when adjusting an oval dish for the DirecTV 119 sat in the Cleveland area? My installer (the 5th person) finally got it right. I see high 80's and 90's for the 101 sat but only 50's and 60's for the 119 sat. He said that this is the best of what I can get in terms of signal strength for the 119 sat. During a recent storm, I had no problem with 101 but lost picture on 119 HD demo channel.
I did my own installation (with the help of a friend) so I could tweak the alignment to my hearts content and saw results not too different from what you are getting. The 101 signal appears to be easier to pull in (at least on the east coast).

--Marc

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
119 is usually lower in strength than 101, with the 24" oval dish. Today in S. E. MI, it's a cloudless sky w/48% humidity and I'm getting 79-91 on 101 & 61-74 on 119.

With these readings, I only lose signal lock a few times a year, during torrential downpours. When this happens, I always lose both 101 & 119. I've never lost just 119, in spite of the lower readings.

These readings are the result of hours of tweaking to get higher readings at both locations. With a single dish for 101, I used to average 88-98.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
858 Posts
Interestingly this makes me feel better about my readings too ! I had only recently (the day before yesterday) installed a 18x24 dish. I had a 24" round dish before this and used to get readings in the mid to high 90s for the 101. With the oval dish I can get 90s for the 101, but then the 119 is in the 50s. If I tweak the 119 (I too suspect that the leaves of a tree may be partially blocking my line of sight) as high as it goes, I can get it to mid 60s, but then the 101 drops to the mid to high 80s. Moving the dish to a location that is *definitely* clear of the suspected tree would make it visible from the front of the house and thus unacceptable to my wife.

I spent a fair bit of time ensuring that the mount is vertical (using a level guage etc) and these are the best results I could get after a fair bit of tweaking (I carried the receiver and a small TV to the roof with me!). I did not however, play with the tilt and it is as specified by entering my zip code in the receiver menu. Has anyone played with the tilt adjustment as well ? It appears to me that, in general, this should matter .. though in my case I doubt that it will help since I have adjusted to get the best signal with the 119 and as a result, the tilt will at most improve the 101 signal (which is already in the high 80s)

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
If you're getting a 60 signal on 119, you're in excellent shape. I wouldn't touch it. I get as low as a 25 on my 119 and still get a perfect picture with no breakup. Normally I only get around a 50 at best. I only lose the signal all together during a real heavy rain storm.

------------------

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I am not far from Benji in New England and have similar numbers. For reasons that are unclear to me, when I purchased the dish and receiver at best buy they said I was entitled to a free install. Of course, I couldn't wait the four days for them to come out, so I did it myself. When I put up my oval dish, I spent a couple of hours tweaking it and got low 90s on 101 and only 50s on 119. Not satisifed with the lower number on 119, and since I had the free install, I had them come out to try to improve it. The guy spent three hours on my roof with a singal meter, and with me on a walkie talkie in front of the TV, and it is no better now than before he came. He did try adjusting the tilt as well as the azimuth and elevation with no evident improvement. I have no trees or anything else blocking the dish. But, even with this lower reading for 119, I have only lost the signal with heavy downpours (two or three times in almost a year), and when I lose 119, I also lose 101. Your readings should probably be OK.

SMK

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm in Iowa. Get 85 on 101, and 65-70 on 119. No reception problems at all, except heavy rains, and then I lose both.

·
Registered
468 Posts
As a side note to this dicussion, all signal strength meters are not created equally. I have a Sony SAT-HD100, RCA DTC-100, and older Sony SAT-A3 and all display slightly different signal strengths with the same signal (I have even changed the boxes with the same cables to see if I had some loss in different rooms).

The differences aren't big, but reality is that it's not an apples to apples comparison. Variance between the boxes can be as much as 5-8 points, with 10 points between the highest reading (DTC-100) and the lowest reading (SAT-HD100) for the same signal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can improve the signal to get more rain/snow fad resistance. I bought two 76CM dishes from Stark. So I get in the 80's now on the 119 sat and high 90's on the 101. Also helps with the long cable run (160 feet)I have from the ground mounted dishes to the house.

Pat

------------------

HDjunky

·
Registered
88 Posts
PS: The dish cost $50 each and $120 for the new weather proof switch. I also found that the plastic parts on the 24 inch dish began to warp over time in the elements and made it difficult to tune to both sats with good signal on both.

Pat

------------------

HDjunky

·
Registered
750 Posts
I mounted my dish on a mast on the ground back in June. At the time, I got 78-85 on the 101 and 50-60 on the 119. It appeared that trees were in the way of the 119 -- I could only find the signal in about 3 square inches in my yard to put the mast. At the time, I spent about an hour adjusting tilt, elevation, and azimuth to max both sats out.

Three weeks ago, we had a bunch of trees cut down (not for sat purposes). When I remounted the dish I was pleasantly surpised to have 90-98 on the 101 and 85-93 on the 119. Like Ken H, I only get rain fade on neither or both (even before).

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
i'm with prjoy. i got a 24" dish from radioshack.com and i am in the 80's now shooting through the trees. my dropouts are gone.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.