Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time listener, first time caller.

I have been having trouble getting a solid signal strength without some signal loss. I have a roof top antenna (radio shack VU-120 XR) with a Channel Master 7778 pre-amp connected running into a Samsung SIR-TS160 D* receiver. Most of the time I get a signal strength of 100 percent on 2 & 5 and lately about 79% on channel 4 and no signal on channel 13.

The problem is that the area I am in is shadowed by trees for a line of sight to the tower on Farnsworth Peak and I get random signal loss on occasion and it is worse when the wind blows. I have tried several locations on my roof and have just placed the antenna on a 10' pole but still get the random signal loss and no channel 13.

I have considered trying the Channel Master 4228 antenna but no one around her sells them and the only way to get them is on-line but I don't want to pay that kind of money and not be able to return it if it does'nt work.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have considered the Radio Shack Antenna that you mentioned but I have heard that Radio Shack will not allow you to return antenna's once you set them up. I have tried disconnecting the pre-amp and the signal loss is more frequent without it and especially when the wind blows.

Would the trees moving in the wind in the direction of my antenna cause the signal loss?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Would the trees moving in the wind in the direction of my antenna cause the signal loss?
Not likely if you're line-of-sight. But a bad coax connector crimp, bad connection to your balun, or bad balun itself would cause the problem you describe.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bbartschi
... I have tried disconnecting the pre-amp and the signal loss is more frequent without it and especially when the wind blows.

Did you remove the preamp, or just disconnect the power from it? Make sure all pieces of the preamp are removed, if you didn't try that.

WRT trees blowing in the wind affecting reception:

I used to have this occur very frequently, on lower power stations that did not have LOS. I live in a very hilly area with trees in all directions.

This antenna solved the tree/wind multipath problem for me. [YMMV, of course]

·
Registered
152 Posts
arxaw - interesting setup - how do you combine the signals? How long a run do you have to the output and do you use any amplification?

I am using 1 SS in my basement as a temporary measure as I have just moved into a new (for me) home. Having limited success (DC area). Get stable picture on CBS, NBC, Fox (mostly ok), but very sporadic with ABC (MNF) was tough to watch - moderate # of breakups in picture but lots with sound. I am feeding a DTC 100.

Am looking at some type of attic configuration - possibly CM 4 bay bow tie, but would consider trying your setup.

Any other info you can provice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Bruce

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tested the signal loss with the pre-amp completly removed and the signal loss is worse without it.

I do not have direct line of sight because of the trees so I am wodering if the trees are my problem.

I have also considered the silver sensor antenna but I don't think if has the range that I need. I have checked on the CEA web page and it says I need a Medium Directional Antenna with pre-amp.

Could someone please explain to me what multi-path is?

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Multipath is bounced signals arriving at your antenna at slightly different times. On analog channels, it causes "ghosting". On digital, it causes video/audio dropouts and macroblocking.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BruceL
arxaw - interesting setup - how do you combine the signals? How long a run do you have to the output and do you use any amplification?

I am using 1 SS in my basement as a temporary measure
The two SS antennas are velcro'd to the 2x4 and connected together by 2 identical lengths of short RG6 coax. I have replaced the coax shown in the picture with shorter pieces. They are connected together with this inexpensive hybrid splitter/combiner from Radio Shack .
http://home.swbell.net/arxaw/antennas/15-1141.jpg

From the combiner, they connect to the STB via ~30 ft. of RG6 coax, with no amp or preamp. The 2x4 is simply sitting on top of a cardboard box for easy aiming. The box also gets the antennas up off the attic floor, away from the HVAC ductwork. Metal ductwork can sometimes cause multipath problems.

Stacking antennas horizontally adds both gain and directionality. If the stations you're trying to receive are in several directions, this may not work.

Your solution may be as simple as getting the antenna out of the basement. Try the SS in the attic using a temporary coax. If your coax run is really long, add a CM 7777 preamp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.