AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

As mentioned on another posting, I am about to move into a new house. As part of that, I'm arranging for the speaker wire (Van Damme professional blue series 2x2.5mm) to be channelled into the walls.

The question is how and where to terminate the cables. Aesthetically, it might be better to have the in-wall cables terminate at wall plates, then feed into and out of the system using very short interconnects with banana plugs. Basically, I just want to know if that might result in audible loss of fidelity.

The same principle probably also applies to the six analogue cables travelling from our HTPC to the active sub-woofer. Is there likely to be any loss of fidelity if I install two sets of wall plates for that part of the system?

The proposed setup is as follows:

HTPC with high def audio (Realtek ALC883)

Feeding an Optoma HD65 by HDMI (direct)

Also feeding a Teufel Motiv 5 PC/multimedia/home cinema system set of 5.1 active speakers (direct, or via wallplates)

Motiv 5 then feeding five satellite speakers from its subwoofer (prob via wallplates)

Van Damme Professional Blue series 2x2.5mm speaker cable.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
Accepted Factual Theory:

Any electrical connection is a source of loss, noise, and mechanical failure.

Real World HiFi Audio:

You have nothing to worry about in what you propose. Use gold connectors from Parts Express and all will be fine.

Now if you are building a cell phone tower, well then we need to look at the connectors more carefully. But not in a home HiFi setup where you are simply adding two more connection points.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your comment. The discussion referred to seems to be saying that the main issue to watch out for is breakages in the wiring, but that this is less likely to happen with well-constructed gold plated wall plates.

Any other views?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Job 1.

If the plates are solidly constructed and the connections are all snug, there will be no loss that is audible.

If you counted the quantity of connectors in the audio signal chain from production to reproduction, the aggregate supposed loss proposed by some would be staggering. In the REAL (non- fantasy) world of audio, that is not the case.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Personally, I don't use wall plates, as I find a small hole in the drywall directly behind the speaker to be much less noticeable. And much easier to patch if I move something. But it shouldn't cause any noticeable signal loss if you do use them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, all, for your advice. I think I'm going to opt for wallplates where the leads enter the wall (5 x 2.5mm all going into one space) and have the cables exit the wall straight into the speakers (1 x 2.5mm at different points round the room).

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
You could also use something like this, instead of individual wall plates:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00390IT7O

I have speaker wires for 5.1, 3 stereo zones, sub, HDMI, optical, network, etc. all running through one of these at the equipment end. It would have taken 6 to 8 wall plates to run the same cables individually. And thats just behind the audio rack. Too many holes in my opinion.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I too am interested in this: I'm going to build a new custom corner "entertainment cabinet".

I ran speaker wire today, temporarily, so I can find out where my speakers sound best, and it made me realize how messy receivers and wiring can get.

I'm tempted to run speaker wire through the walls, leaving bare wire at the speaker, and then run all the wire to the area where the receiver will be. I think terminating at a wall plate will allow things to be nice and clean.

However, I'm worried at the amount of connections needed to make it work. It'll require lots of breaks in the line.

So I'm wondering if there are any other thoughts about this?

And also, what are your thoughts on HDMI wall plates? Right now I have just an HMDI running through the wall, directly from the receiver to the TV. If I decide to use an HDMI wall plate, will that cause any signal loss????

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts