AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This might be one of those obnoxious "wrong forum" or "all ready answered a million times" kinds of issues, but I apologize and offer thanks in advance for the advice. I recently upgraded my 6.5 year old IF SP4805 (loved that projector!) to a new Panasonic PT-AR100U (in an unrelated note, maybe its because I haven't shopped for a projector in almost 7 years, but the difference in performance/technology is truly amazing. Its like I was blind and now I see!) . As part of this upgrade project, I am also switching my Component Video source gear and AV receiver to all HDMI driven gear including a Denon AVR-1312 receiver. My source gear is in a rack in a converted storage closet on the different end of the room from the projector. I had previously used 50ft Component Cables to reach the old projector. I "probably" could have used shorter cables (there was definitely extra cable), but it was a length I felt comfortable to get around the twisty path in my drop-ceiling to the projector. For this project, I purchased a Monster MC 1000HD-50 (50ft HDMI) to go from the HDMI Monitor-Out of the Denon to the PT-AR100U. I had heard of potential pitfalls of an HDMI run that long, so before I ran it above my basements drop ceiling I hooked it all up on the ground (tried to stretch the HDMI cable into a length approaching the actual path). It all worked great on the ground...I easily switched between the different source gear (Blu-Ray, Apple TV, DIrecTv) and got a great picture for each (no sparkles, or apparent signal loss). However, after I ran the HDMI through the drop ceiling, big problems. I couldn't get signal at all at times (blue/blank screen on projector like its looking for signal), sometimes the Apple TV would get signal, but it was incredibly grainy...but most of the time, none of it would get a signal to the projector at all. I tried to eliminate the Denon as the source of the problem by running each individual component directly into the 50ft HDMI, and same story...no image. All of the components work great if plugged directly into the projector at 6ft, even with sketchy cables. I assume what is at issue is the length of the HDMI run and whatever environmental factors are occurring above my drop ceiling. I had read many success stories about others using good cables (I assume mine is a good cable) at lengths longer than this, but I can't think of anything else.

Today, I swapped my 50ft HDMI for a 35ft version. I think that if I optimize the path, it should reach. Is there anything else that might be at issue? If I get the same result at 35ft should I try an HDMI EQ/Booster? Is there a brand or model that wont break the bank but is generally considered effective? I am missing something else obvious?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Monoprice sells better cables for MUCH less money. Monster is overrated, imo. Just look at the reviews on that cable versus some cheaper one's.

My guess is that the cable's shielding isn't very good and it's picking up something in your ceiling. Make sure you stay away from power lines.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
reduce... reduce... reduce.... :) set all your settings to the lowest HD res (ie. 720p or 1080i)... check / turn off all "deep color" settings. Does this help your cable "bottleneck"? It should otherwise it is likely that you may have damaged the cable during your pull efforts.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i chose blue jeans cable for my 50 foot run along with an 8 inch monoprice port saver since these cables are quite inflexible. do you have any sharp bends in your install?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts