AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm having problem with my HBO HD and HDNet HD chanels - there are constant audio dropouts and "digitized" video streaks across the screen as if the signal can't quite lock on... HDNet Movies, Discovery HD and Showtime seem to be ok. Which transponder and satellite signal strengh should I check? I checked Sat C T25 and I get like 30-32 signal.. Is that tha problem? How can I fix it? Do I call D* or I can try to adjust my dish myself? I have Sony HD200 via DVI to Panny 50" LCD, Triple LNB oval dish.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
You said sat c transponder 25 but I think you meant sat b transponder 25 because thats where HDNet and HBO HD are located. And if your signal strength in is the 30's that would explain your problem. It could just be a matter of tweaking your dish to increase signal strength, presuming theres no other obstructions in the line of sight.

What are your signal strengths on other transponders on sat b?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You right, it's Sat B.. T25 has strengh 30.. also T29 has 32, others have somewhere between 36 and 60... T25 is the lowest.. so how can I adjust the dish? there are no obstacles in line of sight. which way should i try to move the dish - up down or left to right?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
What type dish do you have? The newer integrated style where all the lnb's are in one unit...or do you have the older style with individual lnb's where you had to add the Sat C kit (the middle 110 lnb) at some point? If it's the older style, another thing you could simply try first is swapping the 101 and 119 lnb's and see what happens. It could be I suppose that something is going flakey with the 119 lnb.

As far as tweaking the dish goes, if you feel comfortable doing that, the first thing I'd do is make reference marks so you could always put it back exactly where it was if alignment wasnt really the cause of the problem. One way to do that from an azimuth (or left/right swing perspective) is to take a magic marker and draw a vertical line half on the mast itself and half on the collar that overlaps it. That way, once you loosen the bolts and swing the dish, you can always just line those marks back up if you didnt gain anything by adjusting.

Thats the adjutment I'd try first. As far as the elevation adjustment (up and down) you dont really have to make marks because there will be a gauge with numbers on it and all you'd have to do is put it back to whatever number it was set to.

And before any of those adjustments you might simply check that the mounting mast has remained perfectly plumb. Because if it got out of plumb for some reason, that could be the problem too.

·
Super Moderator
18,646 Posts
T0lik..

Before you do anything, check the cabling, especially if you have the older triple-LNB dish. 90% of the time, it's the cabling. If you have the newer, Phase III dish (all 3 LNBs are fused together into one solid brick at the end of the arm) and no cascading multiswitch in the line, then you can start playing with the pointing.

Write down or mark the dish where it is, now. We'll assume nothing has changed with the mount; mast is plumb and the structure it's attached to hasn't changed.

Check to make sure the Tilt is still set to the recommendations from your STB.

Since azimuth is the easiest to foul, let's start with that. Bump it maybe one degree one way or the other, then check the readings. If they're worse, go back to the original point, then bump it one degree the opposite direction. If the readings improve, but still aren't fantastic, try one more degree. Note the readings on Sat A tsp1, Sat B tsp 25 and Sat C tsp 10 each time you make an adjustment, along with a note of the adjustment you made. That way, you can always get back to a known "good" configuration.

If you can't get good readings by adjusting just the azimuth, go back to the starting point, change the elevation by going up one-half tick mark and repeat the azimuth tests, making sure to take a set of readings and write everything down with each change. Follow the same procedure. If one-half tick mark up makes it worse, then try one-half tick mark down. You'll know within 1 tick mark of elevation and 2 degrees of azimuth if you're getting closer. Only then should you add tilt to the mix if necessary.

Note that it really doesn't matter which order you proceed in. The order I've given you reflects the most common "naturally occurring" mispositionings. Wind is more likely to screw with your azimuth, gravity (or big heavy critters) with the elevation. If the tilt was set properly to begin with, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Again, this assumes the mast is plumb. If it's not, you may never get the pointing quite right.

If it appears that no amount of adjusting is going to make Sat B better, then it's time to consider that the LNB could be failing. On an older dish, you can swap the A and B LNBs for testing, since they're identical. The center (Sat C) LNB is different and only works in the center position.

Good luck

Doc

Sorry, Dan.. we must have posted at the same time...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Do you have any other sat. receivers beside the HD one? I get varying signal strength depending on which channels are tuned on other sat receivers plugged into the same multiswitch.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
No prob, Doc. If nothing else you mentioned cabling issues which I didnt even touch on.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I moved the dish just a notch and now I got 38 on T25 - picture and sound are great now - no more dropouts. Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
18,646 Posts
38 is still not much. You may find you need to work on it until you get something in the 70s or 80s to minimize rain fade, if nothing else.

Doc

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
You said sat c transponder 25 but I think you meant sat b transponder 25 because thats where HDNet and HBO HD are located. And if your signal strength in is the 30's that would explain your problem. It could just be a matter of tweaking your dish to increase signal strength, presuming theres no other obstructions in the line of sight.

What are your signal strengths on other transponders on sat b?
I too have the HD200 and two days ago I lost my HDNet and HBO HD completely. Just checked transponder 25 on Sat B and it's zero ... no signal at all. Why would this be after four months of working fine? All other HD channels are fine but all transponders are 20-30 points lower than on my DTivo units.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I also get 38 on Sat. B and can never get hdnet or hbo.There is a tree that might be a hinderance but why would I get 97 on C and 91 on A ?Is the 119 sat which picks up B at the far right of the dish surface area ? thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
18,646 Posts
Rik..

If you're getting all zeroes on odd numbered transponders, then you need to check the cabling and connections between your multiswitch and your dish. Check the cable connected to the 13v Sat B port of your multiswitch. If you have a Phase III dish, then look for a splitter or something in your line that could be causing voltage problems.

Doc

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's only the odd numbered transponders on the Sony SAT-HD200. My two DTivo units are fine across all transponders on both satellites 1 and 2. I assume Satellite 2 corresponds to what the Sony calls Sat B.

·
Super Moderator
18,646 Posts
Rik..

You didn't answer: Are there any splitters or other things in the line running from either the Phase III dish or your multiswitch to the Sony?

For the Sony (or any other receiver) to receive the odd transponders, it sends 13v and a 22khz tone upstream to the multiswitch. For your Sony to get the even transponders but not the odd, then something is keeping the voltage between your Sony and the multiswitch higher than 13v. That usually happens when there's a splitter in the line and another receiver is hooked to that splitter.

If there are no splitters in the line, then one of the output ports on the multiswitch may be bad. Swap the output lines between one of the TiVos and your Sony, since your TiVos don't really need anything on those transponders, anyway.

Doc

·
Registered
212 Posts
sorry Dr. Don. I had actually been responding to the person before you. Our posts were only a few minutes apart and they must have crossed.

Anyway ... more troubleshooting later I believe I have thge answer. Looks like the odd transponders were out on the HD200 and both DTivos leading me to believe it is one of the LNBs on my Terk Dish. Call to the installer, Directv then Terk later and Terk is sending me out a new one under and RMA. It's actually an integrated head unit so I'll be getting all three plus the 4-way multiswitch. Thanks for all of the input.

·
Super Moderator
18,646 Posts
My bad. Didn't look at the timestamp. Glad you found the problem. Good luck.

Doc

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Anyone find the cause of this? I noticed last night that I cannot get HBO-HD or HDNet. I get 25-30 on transponders 24 and 25 but high 80 on every other transponder on the 119 sat. Why would it be limited to these 2 transponders?

·
Super Moderator
18,646 Posts
GScott..

Cause isn't universal. Could be mispointing, bad connections or a host of other things. Your symptoms would indicate one of the following:

Obstruction: A tree limb CAN affect a couple of transponders more than the others.

Connections: Moisture or a nick in a cable can also affect some frequencies and not others. Bad or going-bad combiner or diplexer could do it too. If everything appears tight, bypass the Sat C kit (if you're using one) to test its combiner.

Positioning: For the 119, if you're nailing the other transponders, this probably isn't your problem, but if everything else fails, bump it and see.

Something else in the line: Surge suppressors for your sat cable seem to pass frequencies unevenly. If you have one in the line, try bypassing it.

Good luck

Doc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.