AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved all of my AV Equipment for the whole house into a closet downstairs. The cable coming into the house comes to an upstairs closet into 1 splitter. From there one end goes to the one TV upstairs (for now) and the other goes down RG6 quad into this closet downstairs and into an Electroline 8300 amplifier. Out of the amp into 3 SA 8300HD's.

I occasionally get some bad break up of the picture on HD channels that seems different from the normal pixelation from Comcast's crappy signal. Could I be over amping my signal?

I've also considered just coupling the incoming line to the RG6 feeding to my closet and running another line out of the closet back up to the upstairs room so that the direct feed into the house hit the amp and all devices were fed off it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Do you get breakup all the time, or just short, spurious breakups?

And, how do the analog channels, especially the higher numbered ones (excluding the 90's), look?

Amplifier overload would make the analog channels have beats in their video, which would be there all the time. You can check this out by inserting a 3 dB attenuator or two in the input line of the amp, and see if the beats go away (but, maybe the picture just gets snowy-er).

If you only get breakup on some channels, and the breakup is intermittent, you might have interference getting in to the line. Since some channels are sharing spectrum with the outside-of-the-cable world (two-way radio, paging transmitters, ham and CB radio, even OTA broadcasts), certain channels may get interference, while others do not. And, the interference may be intermittent.

Check channels 95-99, if they have analog signals there. With ingress from outside the cables, you'll likely see herringbone patterns from FM stations (which share that spectrum). Tightening up the connections, or finding a bad connector, will fix that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts