AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally installed the 61.5 dish to receive HD on my Dish system, only approx. 1 year after getting all the necessary equipment.

Anyway, my problem was that I had no unobstructed view to the Southern sky, so I finally pointed the dish at the obstructing tree, and I receive an adequate signal. I have a signal strength of around 46, but I am running 50 ft. of RG-6 to thw SW-64 switch. I can reduce this length with some generall re-routing of all my cables, so I wanted to know if anyone here had any advice on whether it is worth the effort. If I can shorten the run to 10 ft. or so, will I get a much stronger signal? Is there anything else I can do?

Cutting down the tree is not an option, it is neighbor's, and it is huge and beautiful anyway.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Sorry, 10 ft. of cable will not make any difference. I would recomend that you get a bigger dish (30")to try to get a hotter signal strength, since you aparently cannot relocate the dish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't know there were 30" dishes. My location is such that I can easily mount a larger dish. I really can't relocate the dish, unfortunately. The Dishnetwork installers came out once and decided they could not do it, which is why I decided to just point it through the tree to see what happens.

So do most retailers carry the 30"? I bought at PC Richard's, and they only had the standard ones.

Also, I am not talking about shortening the length by 10ft., I can shorten it by 40ft., to a length of 10ft. Will this make a difference?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
A lot of online retailers sell the 30" dishs. There designed more for Alaska and Hawaii but anyone can buy them. There was one site I saw a while back, that was had them for pretty good prices I'll post a link as soon as I can find it. Reducing the length of coax will not help your SS.

Steve

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
 Click Here . They have 30" dishes for $99.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice/input everybody, I'll try the 30".

As to moving the dish, trust me everybody, the tree is huge and thick. As I said, the Dish network installer looked around the property and wouldn't even try. Considering the fact that the 18" is giving me a watchable signal, I think the 30" will be just fine.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
224 Posts
 www.dishdepot.com also sells large dishes. They have 1 meter dishes and larger, I believe. You might as well go with the largest that you (and your spouse) can tolerate.

Is aiming at the other HD satellite (148, I think) out of the question for you?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Getting 148 from NYC would be hard but it has been done.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know, I never thought about the 148, I'll check, as I haven't ordered the larger dish yet. I think I need it near horizontal(3 degrees, if I'm not mistaken), so I'll try it.

BTW, I was surprised at how generally easy aiming the dish is, I had never tried since install is generally virtually free...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.