AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Toshiba DR-560 the other day and ran into an unusual problem;

I'm only using an OTA antenna which connects to the Toshiba, then out to the TV. My local FOX station registers mid 30's on the strength meter (on the TV) and my local PBS station registers mid 40's, yet the tuner in the Toshiba displays nothing but a blue screen on PBS and displays FOX just fine.

PBS is VHF (9.1) and FOX is UHF (20.1), and I am picking up the other local VHF and UHF channels so I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance for any sage advice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, this afternoon, while I was recording a show on another channel, none of the 9's (9-1, 9-2, 9-3) would show up on my TV until the recording stopped.

I guess I'll have to call Toshiba's customer service tomorrow. Or maybe an exorcist...

***UPDATE***

Now I know this wasn't a coincidence. Tonight I had the timer set to record COPS and I had the TV on channel 9-1. It was a good strong signal.

The very second the DVD-R came on, channel 9-1 (and all 9-* subchannels) pixelated and went black. All the other channels (including other VHF channels) continue to come in fine.

I am utterly stucking fumped...

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
I wouldn't rely on the meter in your DVDR, esp. for digital signal strength.

I had a similar situation where one group of digital channels just wouldn't scan in on my analog cable feed after multiple tries, but switching the location of my signal amp. got them tuned in on first try, as described here.

Maybe you could try an amp. also?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm actually going by the TV's strength meter. That's why I don't get why the DVD-R's tuner is picking up stations with weaker signals, using the same antenna.

I'm using an amplified indoor antenna now (Terk), and it's a straight shot from the antenna, to the DVD-R, to the TV, no splitters involved. I'm not sure if I can add another amp in there, but I'm willing to try it since all the signals are on the weak side where I live.

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
I'm not a believer in amplified indoor antennas. In general they cause more problems than good. Amplifiers in general are more to overcome loss by long cable runs or splitters. Since people usually have short runs from their indoor antennas to TV and don't generally split the signal, the amplifiers just reduce your S/N ratio.

I've replaced several friends amplified indoor antennas with a good non amplified one and they've gotten a better more stable picture. YMMV

I've had good luck with the non amplified Terk (looks like a small yagi antenna) or a similar Zenith Silver Sensor which has the added benifit of rabbit ears for VHF high and also costs less than the Terk. Amazon regularly sells the Zenith for ~$25

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use an antenna for TV also. Recently purchased a TV with a digital abilities. Antenna wired to a VCR/DVD then to the TV. If the VCR/DVD is on many stations show up on the TV as you described. Just a blue screen. HOWEVER, if I press the TV/VCR button on the remote, reception goes back to normal. The VCR/DVD is an old analog type. Buying a strenghth meter may be nice but if if shows low signals, then what?

Try not using the VCR and see if you have the same problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.