AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Dish 500 installation and have a couple of questions about signal strengths...

First, I'd like to make it clear that I have a 100% unobstructed view on the entire southern sky from 10 degrees elevation and up. There are no trees or buildings blocking my system. These figures were done with the Dish 500 connected to the receiver with about 6 feet of RG6.

On 110, no matter what I do, I can never get signal strength about 90-95. It's always around 85.

On 119, however, I get 105-110 consistantly.

Is there any reason to worry about this? I am trying to find out if this is normal and if there is any reason for alarm.

BTW: Will a 24-inch round dish (with a D-tube arm) work with the Dish 500 LNB?

Thanks!

-- Robert

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
SS on 110 are typicall a little lower, execpt for TP 12 and 14 since they are double power. My SS for 110 varies from 88-101 (not including the 2 TPs I mentioned above which are usally 115-120). My SS for 119 is varies from 115-125. SS only makes a difference in rain fade resistance, lower the SS more prone to rain fade. I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Steve

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A six foot RG6 quad shield? I don't see how it could be resistance... This is on a Dish 6000.

I don't know, I don't think I will worry about it for now. I don't see how I am not getting anything higher than 85-90 on 110, however, given the perfect visibility from my roof.

Maybe I'll get a couple of 24-inch dishes...

-- Robert

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
With a 6ft piece you should be fine. I was able to get 125 from 61.5 , 112 from the 110, and 118 from the 119 slot. All of these I had a TV in front of me to tweak. Try to move the dish while locked down. If the signal goes up when you pull back on the dish then move it up some ........................

Dave

·
Registered
399 Posts
My understanding is that most of the transponders on 119 are double powered whereas most of the ones on 110 are not.

So, it is normal to get a lower reading on 110 than you do on 119 for most of the transponders.

Frankly, getting 85-90 on 110 in New York is excellent and there isn't much to be gained by trying to squeeze more out of it. A higher reading does not translate into better picture (actually, anything that will lock will give you as good a picture as is available) and 85 has plenty of margin for rain fade.

About the other dish you have.... Hard to tell if it will be an improvement or not. The Dish 500 dish is designed to have two focal points for the two LNB's to focus on. A generic dish may actually give you worse results because it is made to properly focus a center mounted LNB and neither of the Dish 500's LNB's will focus properly. And it probably doesn't have any kind of skew adjustment either.

That's all theoretical though. The only way to know for sure would really be to try it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.