AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read where HDMI 1.3 will not make much difference to current displays because current displays can't really take advantage of deep color in the first place. I see where the new Mitsubishi sets will support some sort of deep color. Will it really make that much difference?

Are any of the new sets coming out this year supposed to take advantage of the deep color?

Are the current HD-DVD and BD players able to pass along that color info to the display?

Do the video processing chips present in the AVR's and upconverting DVD players support deep color?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
ryaber:

No one knows what the consumer electronics manufacturers will do, they do stupid sh!t like releasing two imcompatible high-definition video disc formats AT THE SAME TIME!!! No one has a crystal ball. However, HDMI 1.3 is not only for video, there are audio improvements that are facilitated by this standard. But we don't know when/whether or not the audio improvements will actually show up either. (And, if you are running your audio through a receiver or pre/pro then you will only care about HDMI 1.3 from the source unit to the receiver and who cares about the TV). The chain of folks involved in actually putting a movie on YOUR TV set is indeed long and stretches from the consumer electronics yahoos to the paranoid Hollywood types, each one of them capable of screwing up the chain.

I'm betting that HDMI is worth the extra wait/extra $ so I will purchase my next TV with HDMI 1.3. Good luck with your decision.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.