AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
I thought it was somewhat grainy but all the dvds that I have seen of this film have been the same way. Sorry, but I respectfully disagree; just think that it was either filmed that way or it is the transfer.

Ernie

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ernie Smith
I thought it was somewhat grainy but all the dvds that I have seen of this film have been the same way. Sorry, but I respectfully disagree; just think that it was either filmed that way or it is the transfer.

Ernie

Just because a film is grany, does not mean it cannot be clear. I thought it was a very sharp and clear looking picuter, however I also noticed a lot of grain.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Quote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just because a film is grany, does not mean it cannot be clear. I thought it was a very sharp and clear looking picuter, however I also noticed a lot of grain.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I am not sure how something can be grainy and yet have "amazing clarity". I am viewing this on a 100" screen via a Runco front projector and any grain really shows up. and I find it somewhat disconcerting. I have a 36" Sharp 16X9 hdtv in my bedroom and. although I didn't watch it at that location, would bet that it looks a lot better there. I will view it there next time it is on to make a comparison. I remember originally seeing this in a theatre and I don't recall it being grainy but I could be wrong, it is going on 10 years ago. The laserdisc, both the original release and the Criterion, were certainly grainy.

Answer me this: would the filmmaker deliberately do this to give it a "certain look?" Could be but one way or the other it was grainy to me and took away from what is arguably one of the top films of all time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.