7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From: http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_149181017.html

High-Tech Tattle-Tale Device Hits NYC Theaters

Regal Cinemas' Solution? Point, Click & Wait For Cavalry

Hazel Sanchez

Reporting

Excerpts:

(CBS) NEW YORK Has this happened to you? You go to a movie and someone is making too much noise, or the picture or audio goes bad.... Whether it is a cell phone ringing or a baby screaming, there's always something that has the potential ruin your movie going experience.... Regal cinemas say you can now silence those interruptions with the Regal Guest Response System -- a virtual remote control to mute that annoying patron who's ruining your silver screen sanity.

Click on link to read entire news story.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
This does not sound like a good thing. If I am perturbed by someone's behaviour, and think I have a case to make for why they should cease said behaviour, I should not relegate the responsibility for making that case and confronting the person directly.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I'm not sure whether I like this idea or not, but in these "rude behaviour" threads someone always complains about the lack of ushers in modern theatres. Given that it seems theatres can no longer afford to have full-time ushers for every screen this is one way of getting the ushers (usher?) to where s/he's needed.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I know many people can't have their own HT and must rely on a commercial theater. A shame people are so rude. I don't think this new deterrent would work. What is an usher to do? What if these rude people are carrying heat or cause a riot? You never know.

I feel blessed to have built my HT and have total control.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
The rest of the human race is why I rarely ever go to the theater anymore (not to mention the cost and the fact that movies look/sound roughly the same in my home now).

I'm all for doing something about rude movie patrons. While I did not agree with the past idea of blocking cellphone signals in theaters (I have kids and need to have the phone handy for emergencies---but the ringer is ALWAYS off the minute I set foot in a theater), this might work.

Again, whose to say what kind of scene this would cause if the offender(s) were predisposed to start trouble if scolded by theater mgmt.

Maybe a blanket "No A**holes Allowed" law needs to be inforced in theaters.

Oh wait, then I might be denied service!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I love this idea and hope that one day you can go in and ASK for one. I would at every film I attend because I am sick of rude people, crying babies and out of focus pictures. The last three times I went to the movies were a DISASTER. It's now 1 in 10 times that everything is OK.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
^Agreed.

No different than calling a nurse to a bedside when hospitalized.

Or calling the frontdesk if you have a problem.

Etc., etc.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/0

I love this idea and hope that one day you can go in and ASK for one. I would at every film I attend because I am sick of rude people, crying babies and out of focus pictures. The last three times I went to the movies were a DISASTER. It's now 1 in 10 times that everything is OK.

Crying babies. Now what in hell are these people thinking? I understand they don't have a sitter but bringing a noise maker to the movies?

It's been about 10yrs I haven't gone to a theater and thank god!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I must be lucky. I haven't had any bad experiences (with patrons) in a theater in years. I usually attend matinees, but even when I go at night, there are no real distractions. Picture, and sound, quality is another matter.

Art

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
You must live in a town of 5 people.
Not ONCE in my life have I gone to a theater without some idiot causing a disturbance.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod /forum/post/0

You must live in a town of 5 people.
Not ONCE in my life have I gone to a theater without some idiot causing a disturbance.

I'm with adpayne - I attend matinees and I can't remember the last time anyone caused me any annoyance whatsoever.

If you go on Friday evenings then I'm sure that an annoying crowd is to be expected.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Instead of a push-button device to call management, how about a push-button transporter that transports the offending party to the parking lot?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.