AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, I'm back after a very hard tour of duty...

during the last week I've replaced the original fans on the 1209s with four PAPST 1412 FGML.

Thy're capable of some 68 CFM (while the original ones are given as 64 CFM), the same voltage (12V), but a much lower current (some 1/2 than the original ones).

The difference is very appreciable. It seems that those fans are capable to produce come 2/3 less noise, The pj is still noisy a little bit, but nothing compared to the noise produced before.

Before to mount the new fans, I've tried to connect a normal Duracell 9V battery to a PAPST and to one of the originals, keeping them in hand.

The difference is immediatly appreciable, the fact is that the PAPST fan seems to blow much less air than the original... probably everything changes, when both of them are driven at the maximum voltage provided by the pj (some 14V). In any case, I'm using the beast every day since a week ago, for some 3-4 hours a day, and at a certain (high) contrast (75).

The pj works flawlessy... fiuuuu.... :) ;)

ciao

Romano

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Are you doing any temperature measurements? Did you do anything besides disconnect the wires from the old fans and put the new ones in? What model number fans are you using?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the delay.

I've measured the air flow and the temperature on some heatsinks.

the thermal behaviour is slightly changed, the pjs warms up slightly quickier than before, but the temperatures reached after an hour are the same, so it appears to be the air flow.

It's a week that I'm using the modificed pj, it works perfectly, at least since this moment...

ciao

Romano

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Romano,

Would you be so kind as to put down details of the processes you used to switch the fans. Was it as easy as disconnecting two wires from the old and putting in the new.

Also, is 1412 FGML the model number, I was not able to find that particular fan.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
cott,

The Barco fans are very straight forward in that they are just two wire fans. Voltage and gnd. Unlike some of the others which have a "sense" lead to make sure the fan is turning. It should be a simple plig in and if the connector needs to be changed, just cit the connector off the old fan.

Terry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Romano,

pleased to hear that it all went smoothly.

I would like to change the fans in my Barcodata 708, but don't know which PAPST motor is an equivalent to the current ones.

I have emailed Barco asking for the airflow specs but they did not reply. The local agent didn't know either.

The current ones are NMB branded model 3610NL-04W-B-40. I looked on the NMB site, but that model is not listed.

Can you help me find out the specs and choose a replacement?

Cheers

>Raymond, Australia

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dear Romano,

I live in Rome like you and I own a BarcoVision 1609 with HD120 lenses.

I've already modified my pj (to silence it) in two ways but I think it's not enough and I'd like to change the fans.

Could you tell me where and how I could buy the PAPST fans you've mounted on your PJ ?

I'm also looking for filtred red and green c-elements directly from US Precision Lenses (the Barco's cost 600 euro each) but I dont't know the http address.

Could someone help me ?

Thanks a lot

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scottati,

every fan is mounted in a plastic frame that you can dismount and mount on again in a couple of minutes, excepted for the upper fan, that much more easy to replace, it's just mounted by 2 rubber pins...

Concerning the other fans (the ones mounted inside the pj, I didn't replace them, they do not seem to produce a lot of noise...

ciao

Romano

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AFAIK the NBM fans have the airflow specification printed on the label, you've to look for "CFM". In any case, just remember that the PAPST fans are more efficient than the NMBs, so, probably you can mount a PAPST fan with lower current (less than the Amp specification written on the label).

Sorry, I cannot give you further infos, I've no any 708 available at the moment... :(

ciao

Romano

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
This is what I would have to go through to get the Fans. Anyone have a good source for these fans in the USA.

> Scott,

> Currently we do not have any stock available on

> pn#4412FGML. The List

> pricing for qty. 1-49=$25.40 each.

> The L/T = approx 10 weeks by Sea

> approx. 7 weeks by Air + 10% per piece

> charge to Air freight parts

> in.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You guys might want to try panaflo's if you can't find papst ones - they are stock on my projector and come in every size \\ rpm \\ cfm combination you can imagine. They are also cheap (easy to find for $10.00 each, less if they are 80mm) and really quiet. I just replaced 3 in my projector which had gotten old and were noisy - it's pretty much silent now. If you search the web for panaflo you'll find plenty of information about different model numbers and specifications. In the PC world panaflo's are considered an upgrade from the cheap fans that come in most power supplies or cases so they certainly aren't crap...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.