AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah i do vaguely remember it. Wasn't it called the room or something along those lines. I always like the silent hill games, they creeped me the f out lol. From what i remember it was a pretty good game. its been awhile though like 4 years. Hope this helped at all .Enjoy

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Silent Hill 4 is pretty different from the other games. It's got classic Silent Hill action interspersed with first person work in the apartment you start in. What you do in that room affects some gameplay elements later. It's pretty fun, but the apartment parts and the unkillable ghosts in the game got pretty frustrating to me.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I picked it up during a Blockbuster sale ($1.99, disc only!). I haven't played it yet, but heard it was totally different from the first three games. I also heard that it does have some glitches on the 360. I have since "bit the bullet" and picked up a cheap original Xbox so I can play games that either aren't emulated well or at all on the 360. If you have the room, you should pick up an original Xbox because of these problems. I bought mine for $30.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Personally, I felt it was the weakest of the series but I'm in the minority on that

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I replayed Silent Hill 2 recently, and I didn't notice any major issues with the emulator on the 360.

The only issue I can remember offhand was a problem with the clock puzzle in the apartment building. The hands were not showing in front of the clock face, but quitting and restarting fixed that.

*EDIT*

After googling, I now remember the game-breaking save glitch. Don't make more than one save file in SH2, or you probably won't be able to load it again. I did have that one happen to me as well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Also, if you haven't played it, get SH: Homecoming. It's very good, although it's much more combat oriented than the previous games.

Just finished SH: Homecoming and really enjoyed it. That's what prompted me to look into other horror games but nothing new is coming out (already finished condemned, condemned II, etc.) so I figured I would see if there were any old games to get.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigger /forum/post/16983160

Just finished SH: Homecoming and really enjoyed it. That's what prompted me to look into other horror games but nothing new is coming out (already finished condemned, condemned II, etc.) so I figured I would see if there were any old games to get.

Sadly, this is a genre that's seriously lacking. There's a new SH game coming out later this year on Wii that looks like it could be very good, although it's very different as well (Otherworld is icy instead of hell-like, no combat at all). SH 1-4 are good, although you can only get 2 & 4 on the Xbox. SH3 is available on the PC, and there are simple hacks to make it run with proper aspect ratio in widescreen, which is nice.

Siren is a similar type of game and you can download it on the PSN as Siren: Blood Curse.

Dead Space is excellent, although it's a different style of horror game (more survival horror than tense, psychological horror). If you liked Homecoming there's a fair chance you'll like it, although it's more RE4/5-like in that it emphasizes ranged combat and dispatching all enemies over melee combat and running away from fights.

The much maligned Alone in the Dark is pretty good, although the controls and difficulty level can lead to quite a bit of frustration. If you have a PS3, buy it there, as the improved controls and presentation and the reduced difficulty apparently make it much more enjoyable.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth on the original Xbox is quite good. Not too surprising given the source material. It's an FPS horror game. It's BC on the 360, although I've never played it there. Like most BC games, it apparently has emulation issues.

Eternal Darkness is a Gamecube game that's quite good. You might be able to find it cheap used, although it's popular, so maybe not.

I think our next great hope is Alan Wake, whenever that shows up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, I really enjoyed Dead Space. I only have a 360 so some of the games you mentioned aren't options but I'll look into Call of Cthulhu (never heard of it). I really hope Alan Wake gets produced. We need more horror games!!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Silent Hill 4 actually wasn't a Silent Hill game until it was well into development. It was supposed to be a new property, but Konami panicked and made the developers jam it into the Silent Hill storyline. It's why it feels out of place in the series.

I still badly want a remake of the OG Silent Hill, similar to Capcom's remake of Resident Evil. That game desperately deserves the whole re-localization, graphics-upgrade etc treatment.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
More love for SH4 here. It is vastly different, and don't expect the combat system that you found in SH: Homecoming, but it's a great survival horror game. It focuses more on Ghosts then macamations from the fog world though. Give them all a try, SH1 2 and 3 were all very good, solid Survival Horror games. Just be aware they will feel dated comparatively (not a bad thing IMO).

Also, there's the newer Silent Hill: Origins for the PSP/PS2 if any of you are multi console owners. Came out around Homecoming did for the new consoles. It was about as pretty as SH2 was, but damn it was a good story and played more like classic SH2. It's a canon prequel to SH1. I think I actually liked it a tad better then SH:Homecoming, since the story was a bit more involved.

Hope this helped from a SH fan.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Well I piqued my own curiosity and went Amazon surfing. Stumbled across this: http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-Sh...0134958&sr=1-8

Whaaa? I heard a year ago that a remake was cancelled by Konami because the dev team was botching it. This looks interesting, but I don't like the sound of "A re-imagining of the original Silent Hill that turns everything you thought you knew on its head." Anybody know the story on this?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/16991586

Well I piqued my own curiosity and went Amazon surfing. Stumbled across this: http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-Sh...0134958&sr=1-8

Whaaa? I heard a year ago that a remake was cancelled by Konami because the dev team was botching it. This looks interesting, but I don't like the sound of "A re-imagining of the original Silent Hill that turns everything you thought you knew on its head." Anybody know the story on this?

Shattered Memories is the Wii game I mentioned earlier. I didn't realize it was also coming to PSP & PS2. It sounds like it could be very good, but they've done a fair amount of changing things in it. The Otherworld is frozen, instead of the dilapidated, hell-like one seen in all previous SH games. There's no combat in the game. You have to avoid all monsters. That actually doesn't sound too bad to me, since in all the previous SH games (excluding Homecoming) you were far better off running anyway.

There's some sort of questionnaire when you start the game that tailors some of the elements to how you answer. I think this one is supposed to be far more branching than previous SH games were.

I think it could be good, but it also has a good chance of falling flat since it's a reimagining of a classic game.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts