AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an epson 5010. beautiful picture and nice projector, but it has two drawbacks.

first, it definitely makes plenty of audible fan noise. in quiet movies, one can get used to it, but I still hear it. *I* have a tough time to get used to it.

second, I would prefer if it could throw a modestly bigger picture on short distances...120' instead of 100' which I now get at the extreme focus. (I own a lens, but it does distort.)

is there a reasonable projector that improves significantly on these two shortcomings, even if the projector picture is somewhat worse and light output is somewhat less?

/iaw

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
there are many 'short throw' projectors to choose from, really too many to list. the benq 1070/1080 is a popular choice.

not sure about audible fans on them though.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
There is no free lunch with front projection.

If you use a lamp, it has fans, and fans make noise. So, if you want silence, you will need a hush box. There are more than a few tutorials on it here and more than a few people who will help you out, but going down that path is your decision. It's nice to dream and wish, but silent projectors are a myth. They can be quiet, but the less you spend, the more noise you are likely to see. LED sucks because of their little whiny fans. The BenQ projectors deliver. Both the W1070 and W1080ST are great, and the 1080ST is a true short throw model. But, they aren't even as quiet as the pretty well refined 5020 is.

No, for this endeavor you don't need a new projector, you need a hush box. A way to isolate the projector you already have (or a new one) from the audience that you have. Just think of it as it's own project that can be as amazing as putting together the theater in the first place.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, sony manages to make projectors that are practically silent in eco mode according to the reviews. pity that no projector maker has a super-eco mode, where it tunes light output back even further in exchange for even less heat.

the benq 1070 indeed has the right lens for me distance-wise, but it is too loud and its lens up/down flexibility make it hard to mount on a shelf. :-(

epson ... so close and yet so far. a few fewer db, and an extra foot closer,...

/iaw

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I hate fan noise and always used a hush box in the past. I have an epson 5010 and the fan is quiet enough on ECO lamp mode that I don't hear it. Normal lamp mode is waaay too loud for me. So try Living Room color mode and ECO mode together and it will be both bright and quiet.

I agree on the throw - wish it was shorter. Mine is 15.5 feet throw distance and my screen is 152" diag at widest zoom. I want it even bigger though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts