AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What're the quietest DVD drives out there? I've seen dB specs on other components like PSU, fans, etc. But I don't see specs on the DVD drives. And I understand these can be quite noisy.

So, what would you recommend as a silent/quiet DVD drive? Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The quietest dvd drives are the older slow ones. Go to a used computer shop and pick up a used one that is a 8X. Stay away from slot loading drives too they are bad for noise.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I would love to see some actual db numbers as well. Drives, even older, slower drives, have varied widely in acoustic performance. For example, some Lite-On drives are great, others are banshees.

I have heard that some of the Philips drives are fairly quiet, and there is a utility that works with some drives (firmware must support it, I think) that will slow the drive down to quiet it. I don't know specific models, though. I am keeping an eye on the SilentPC Review forums for this info also...

RDaneel

·
Registered
501 Posts
Why not just copy the DVD to your hard drive and run it from there? HDs are ususally more quiet than DVD drives, and you generally have less troubles.

I have tried to measure the sound of the components of my CPU. However, the power supply fan makes more noise than anything else and ruins my measurements. Note: the fan runs at about 50dbs.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Make that 60dbs.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Quite Expensive, but the Sony DRU-500A or AX is very quiet. - for over $300 it better be.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've read that the newer Aopen DVD drives are supposed to be very quiet. That is probably the route I'll go. I know a black one runs about $73cdn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.