AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in the H30 for the same reason everyone else is: its color wheel. But I was curious as to whether its Silicon Images chip was as good as the Faroudja the X1 has. When I asked, though, I got no replies, heh. Maybe nobody knew the answer, maybe nobody else cared, or maybe it was just a silly question, and I was just too much of a newbie to realize that, heh. :)

Well, the answer, if anyone else was cares, was buried about 3/4 of the way down that massive progressive scan DVD shootout article (from the Secrets of Home Theater and Hi Fidelity webpage) that's been posted in a few other threads on this board. Since I can't yet post links, I'll give the most basic of summaries: Faroudja is a little better for video sourced material. Silicon Images might be a tad better for film sources. But in the end, they're about the same.

The article only compared them with DVDs, though. I'm assuming the Faroudja will probably be better with satellite and/or cable, but I don't know that for sure nor do I know how much better (if it is better).

(Once I get up to 5 posts I'll post the link to that article in this thread.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also wonder how the H30 will compare to the InFocus 4805 when it comes out. I've read that the 4805 will have a new multi segment color wheel and that its contrast will be bumped up. I wonder if the speed of the wheel will remain at 2X.

(I've broken up this post into two posts, in order to reach the necessary number to be able to post links, which I'll post in the next post, heh.)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I don't know if this is a valid comparison, but I had a Panasonic RP56 (faroudja) and I have a SIlicon Image Iscan Ultra (504 chip). The Iscan was noticably better in terms of sharpness and color. I also compared a few dvd's and found the Iscan to have the better deinterlacing. I used the intro scene of Jay and Silent Bob. On the Iscan the Quickstop signs were stable with no jaggies at all. On the Panasonic the signs were a bit jittery and jagged. Like I said, I'm not sure how valid my comparison is since I am comparing a $1000.00 component to a $200.00 dvd player. I also use the Iscan to deinterlace satellite and vcr signal. It does an excellent job. I sold my RP56 and use a $75.00 Toshiba 2900 interlaced dvd player through the Iscan Ultra. I couldn't ask for a better picture.

Scott

Scott

·
Registered
692 Posts
The real question is, what is the deal with the 800x480 resolution? At 1.67:1, it's in between 1.33:1 and 1.78:1. Does it crop widescreen material horizontally? Or does it squeeze it horizontally to fit? Is there light spill from the maked chip, as in the Toshiba MT-500? I'd be excited about this PJ if it was actually 800x600.

Does anyone know if the 4805 is a real product, or merely hoped-for one?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Both Silicon Image and Faroudja make excellent image processing IC's. There are some minor differences, but having used products with both I would not say either has a distinct advantage. The Optoma H30 will be either 848x600 or 800x600. TI does not make a chip with a resolution of 800x480. The 848x600 was used in the Plus Piano and InFocus LS110 among others. It allows very nice 1 to 1 scaling of dvd resolution to the panel resolution. Most svga 800x600 projectors crop(scale) the NTSC resolution to 800x450 for display. This includes the InFocus X1, Optoma H50 and others. It is unclear which chip Optoma is using in the H30. My hope is that it is the 848x600 which would make an awesome budget projector for dvd and any standard resolution images. I fear that it is 800x600 because this svga chip is so commonly used both business and home entertainment projectors.

·
Registered
692 Posts
It really isn't likely to be the 848x600 chip, because it is SDR and has 10 degree mirrors. It never was upgraded, and the PJs that used it (LS110, Piano) are rather low contrast. It is aqlmost certainly the 800x600. We are not talking about a new chip. We *may* be talking about a masked chip, a la Toshiba MT-500. The Taiwanese web site for the H30 lists a resolution of 800x480, implying a masked chip to get a semi-widescreen projector. If that is the case, it is a significantly less interesting projector and a rather bizarre design choice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
actually the asia.optoma site says the chip in the H30 is a HD2 Mustang, but I doubt it....

Anyone know what DLP projectors or LCD projectors sub $3k are native 16:9?

Thanks,

Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.