AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silk Stockings, the Cole Porter musical based on Ninotchka, has been digitally remastered and issued on dvd (this week). The good news is that the PQ is between 3.5 and 4.0 out of 5. Many of the faces that were swimming around in composite video fog on the laserdisc are more stable and finally recognizable. Flesh tones are not, however, perfect. MIld blotchiness shows that the technicolor master and its copies have undergone deterioration. Warner Brothers did a silly thing with the sound track and mixed it as DD 5.1. They should have left well enough alone and stuck with PCM. Anyway, the Red Blues number is very good looking. You can finally project it on a 100" screen and enjoy watching the glorious Cyd Charisse dancing across a wide set, staged almost like a Broadway musical. Athletic, vibrant, the very apotheosis of dance. See my comments on this lovely dancer and why I consider her one of the best, if not the best:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D1

Cyd does a separate commentary about the movie. This musical can be purchased separately or in a Cole Porter boxset (which includes Les Girls, High Society, Kiss Me Kate, and Broadway Melody of 1940).

Another dvd that was released by WHV (WB) this week is The Great American Songbook, hosted by composer-pianist Michael Felnstein. This has probably been shown on TCM, but, like many other compilations such as That's Entertainment!, is worth buying in its own right. The scholarship and depth of reseach that went into this production is outstanding. If you can listen to Paul Robeson singing Old Man River in Show Boat (1936) and not get goosebumps, then you need to get your heart resuscitated.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Quote:
MIld blotchiness shows that the technicolor master and its copies have undergone deterioration
But it's not a Technicolor master, never was a Technicolor master.

It's Metrocolor which is a synonym for Eastman Color, and it's from a time when Eastman Kodak was having serious issues with color in it's negative film stock.

It's also the poorest looking transfer of all the Cole Porter musicals just released, but it is probably the best we'll ever see. I'd give it a 3 - 3 1/2 on the transfer.

There is nothing wrong with remastering the audio for 5.1, since it came from a discrete 4 channel master configured for LCR and mono surrounds.

That's the way it played in theaters, at any rate.

Releasing it as PCM would have destroyed the discreteness of the channels.

Vern

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.