AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just an incredibly naive question here. Can a yellow composite video cable be used interchangeably with a red or white composite audio cable, to carry audio? I ask because I want to hook up a subwoofer and the only cable I have lying around is a single yellow composite RCA cable.

I thought I had read somewhere that the yellow composite cable is slightly different than its red and white audio brothers, but that may just be faulty memory. Can someone confirm which is correct?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
For your purpose of using a sub cable, a yellow composite video cable will work fine.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Absolutely.

Usually they're all the same in a bundle, but sometimes they're not.

Video cables and digital audio cables need to be 75ohm coax. Analog audio cables do not need to be 75ohm, and can be whatever (including 75ohm of course). So you can use a video or digital audio cable for analog audio, but not necessarily the reverse. You don't want to use an analog audio cable for something that requires 75ohm coax like video or digital audio unless you know that it's 75ohm.

But usually (though not always) bundled red/white/yellow cables are all the same stuff, it's just easier/cheaper to make that way. Sometimes they aren't though...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts