AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a pic yet of the Denon 2900 in silver?

More importantly, is the 5900 going to be available in silver?

Thanks.

Elmer

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nice pics...thank you!

As for the 5900, Denon told me that there are no plans to release it in silver. They are "testing the waters" by releasing other models in silver, such as the 2900. Boy, if they would have had a choice on the 5900, then I would have ordered mine in silver to better match my silver Anthem AVM20 and silver Odyssey amps.

Ken

·
Registered
565 Posts
Thats not a DVI port. The 2900 never has and never will have DVI...Thats on the 5900 and I'm sure on their new flagship next spring thats going to cost as much as a small down payment on a house.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I compared the picture above with the picture off of Denon's website and they look different. The silver one on this thread has that long, rectangular port that looks like a DVI port but the quality of the image isn't that good so I can't read the 3 letters above it (looks like DVI though). Is that actually the 5900 then? Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dave,

That port your referring to is a SCART Socket. It's used on a lot of European AV equipment. It outputs interlaced RGB. It's sort of like a European version of Component Video.

The SCART socket on the Denon 2900 is most likely called as AV1.

We have this version of the Denon 2900 with the SCART Socket here in Australia.

Here is a Aust. review of the Denon 2900:

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Hardwar...Denon2900.html

Here is a Danish review:

http://www.dvd-a.dk/start.php?page=t...34d849167f91cf

Mark

·
Registered
263 Posts
Guess I was kind of wishing it was and seeing things=) Oh well, I'm actually thinking about getting this anyway. I've got the new Sony 34XBR910 with DVI and was looking for a DVI DVD player that upconverts to 1080i but I may just get this and wait a few generations into the DVI players. Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hello again Dave,

I have the Australian version of the Sony KV-34XBR910. It called a KV-HR36M31 See:

http://www.sony.com.au/content/produ...31&CurSRP=5999

However it doesn't have a DVI input. :( Only Component & RGBHV on RCA sockets. It also doesn't have as many S-Video inputs as the US Version.:(

I'm thinking about a Denon 2900 for it as well. Only thing stopping me is the reports about the quality of the SACD & DVD-A output from the Denon 2900. I haven't had a chance to hear it yet.

I guess you have see this review of the KV-34XBR910:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...ber=2&preview=

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bizibee,

Hi, you might know me from the dba.org forum.

Anyway, I got the KVHR36M31 and the Denon 2900 last week and I cannot be happier.

I haven't tested the SACD sound but I was very surprised at the review of the CD sound quality as I thought the sound very good. The CD sound was highly responsive and easily outdid my dedicated Marantz CD player.

Now, I only have mid-range set-up (no Krells or Linns....yet!) but I have been very happy with the results. I'm running a hefty Yamaha stereo amp and Sonique speakers. The amp is a weak lilnk but that will have to wait and the Sonique speakers have not had a chance to spread their wings just yet.

Film quality is outstanding on the Sony TV - I am extremely fussy about my films as I watch mainly European cinema so contrast and clarity are paramount. In that regard, the Denon handles films with the same responsiveness as it does the audio. If you watch black and white cinema you will be in seventh heaven. Image quality is "elegant" - never forced or showy but always highly accurate and detailed.

And I got my Denon for $AUD1700 which is awesome value for what you get.

I've read the michaeldvd review several times and the reviewer compares the Denon against a very expensive dedicated Sony SACD player - the comparison is useful but a bit misleading. And anyway, I don't have SACD disks so I was more interested in video quality, which is first class.

I certainly did not perceive any "muffling" of sound referred to in the review. Sound may be a little bit "recessed" and I agree that presence is lacking but instrument separation is very good.

If you are a true audiophile then I strongly suggest you test the unit against a reference SACD unit to identify the difference.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Is the Oz edition of the 2900 multi-region capable?

·
Registered
232 Posts
le_paulo,

Yes I do remember you from the DBA forums. :)

I went ahead and purchased the Denon 2900. Couldn't be happier!

I paid $1699 AUSD for mine but I also purchased a Toshiba HD STB for $770 as well. So they made their money over both items.

Yes I think the review on michaeldvd review was a bit misleading for the reasons you sighted. I think the Danish review is much fairer. There are other reviews that agree with that review as well.

I too was very impressed with the 2900 on normal CD playback. I've got the Denon 2900 feeding directly into a Sony TA-P9000ES Multichannel Pre-Amp.

See:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~rutlidge/TA-P9000ES.html

Then into an Elektra 6 Channel Power Amp.

See:

http://www.lenwallisaudio.com/produc...ls.php?pid=575

Which is driving some Infinity Kappa 90's on the front.

I've tried a few DVD Audio DVD and I like the difference on "some" titles.

I'm hoping to buy the Police "Every Breath you take" SACD when I can afford it. You may laugh, but my wife has taken my credit card. I had to sell my Sony DVP-S7700 on ebay to help pay for the Denon. :(

Anyway I'm very happy. Thanks for your input.

Yumbo,

Yes my Australian Denon 2900 was Multiregion (out of the box).

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.