AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Martin Logan speakers, a Llano amp, a Rogue Tube-Pre, and an SCD333ES cd player.

I've sold my old cables and now I'm wanting to try solid silver. I was thinking of the Nu-Vista's or Catcables.

My questions are:

How important is shielding silver wire as the Silvercats appear to be unshielded. Secondly, I've heard that some midrange can be lost on silver IC's and this is one of the strengths of my Tube gear I don't want to loose that.

I guess if any of you could give me some feedback on what you've found as a good Silver IC's I would appreciate it. My system is almost used completely for music and I only have around 300 for two pair.

Thanks,

N-D

·
Registered
21,356 Posts
I luv my Granite Audio balanced silver interconnects, 2.5 pairs, 25' long, from Theta Casablanca 2 to each of five Bryston 7B mono amps. I also us 'em for my three Aerial SW12 Subwoofers.

I think shielding is important for interconnects, as the low level signal can easily pickup noise along its path.

www.graniteaudio.com

"protected by 100% optimized shielding with both continuos foil and silver braid"

Note that Don of Granite Audio designed his cabling for use with his tube amplifiers and speakers - yet I find they work wonderful in my system, all solid state; and a number of other forum members have found the same in their systems. Thirty day money back guarentee if you're not satisfied.

Its important to be able to demo or return if you don't like what they do in your system. After all, its your money!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Steve, actually I believe it has been proven and documented many times over that braiding audio wire has a natural shielding effect when the wires cross each other at close to a 90 degree angle. So, for analog audio, shielding is not absolutely required when braiding is present. Remember, the requirements for audio transmission are not nearly as stringent as for video applications.

I personally have had zero complaints on Silvercats or Silvercat Ultra-Xcess regarding noise or interferance problems and I have sold a lot of these. I run them myself in my own system with zero noise interference. Right now, my 2 channel system is in the floor in front of my RPTV, and power cords even cross the Silvercats. No problem at all. Of course, the Silvercats do have a clear PVC or vinyl cover to distance them a small amount from direct contact with any other wires next to the more delicate and thinner Teflon coating around each individual silver strand.

[email protected]

·
Registered
295 Posts
Lex, how does the braiding method of shielding work on longer lengths of interconnects like Steve's at 25 feet? or longer?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lex!

I've heard many positive things about the silver IC's and Tube gear. I'm expecting to get a bit more detail, and possibly a better sound stage.

I'm getting the silvercats. I will try and post back about the results after they acclimate a little to my sysytem.

I really need some silver speaker wire but that will have to come later.

Thanks to all!

N-D

·
Registered
21,356 Posts
Lex, thanks. Now whether the shielding will make a difference over longer interconnects, liky my 25' ones, that is a good questions. Most important though is simply subjective listening, what works best with your system for a fair price.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Coolcat, like your monikor. :) How does it work? Well, the braid effect works whether 1 foot or 25 feet. Now, I am not saying that there could never be a situation where an unshielded cable won't have problems. I am simply saying, I have never encountered it- I have sold Silvercats in the 15-20 foot range. Not 25 feet to my knowledge.

Nathan, thanks man! I figured I would let you have the honors of saying you ordered. :) Your cables will be built this weekend, and ship Monday. Anything 1 meter or less uses the PVC clearcat cover, and let me tell you, it is special. It is so crystal clear, so beautiful. It's almost like a Silvercat upgrade over the original. Your gonna love these. :)

Thanks,
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.