AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH Labs, for example, tout their silver coated Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) as having
Quote:
an ultra smooth surface, which preserves the subtlest details of the music
Whereas Audioquest states
Quote:
The quality of a conductor is most defined by its surface, so the purity and grain (or lack of grain) there are especially critical. This explains why silver plated conductors sound so bad. Plating does not yield an audio-quality conducting path.
I have read some reviews that claim silver (plating) can yield harshness in the upper (treble) frequencies. What are the facts? Is the result/effect synergistic, that is, is it system dependant? My system will be
  • Yamaha RX-V1000
  • Paradigm Studio/40 (mains)
  • Paradigm Studio/20 (rears)
  • Paradigm Studio/CC

What are you opinions on this subject? What are the PROS vs. CONS in using a siver plated OFC cable (like Siver Sonic T-14 ) verses an OFC cable that does not utilize any silver (like Audiquest Type 6, Slate , or Bedrock )?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You dont want me to feel abandoned, do you?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
15,087 Posts
Nah, we wouldn't want that! :)

My personal opinion is that most of those claims are marketing fluff. Audio frequencies are too low for the "skin effect" to make any difference you can hear. On the other hand, it isn't all that hard to design cables that make subtle changes to the sound.

This is an extremely controversial topic. You need to listen to the cables in your system to find out if there are audible differences that matter to you.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I switched from Tributaties SP4 which is a silver/copper "twist" kinda like a candy cane to DH Labs T14 and realized a significant improvement in clarity - particularly in the upper frequencies.

Caveat: I terminated the SP 4 myself and the DH Labs came terminated with bananas. I would like to think it is the cable but more than likely it is the professional terminations. They are not terribly expensive so you really cannot go wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
After doing a blind cable comparison on my Denon 5700 / Studio 40 system I ended up purchasing 12g lamp cord from Home Depot. Why not get a couple cables together and audition them (if you feel that cables of similar gauges are capable of audible differences)?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Selden Ball
Nah, we wouldn't want that! :)

My personal opinion is that most of those claims are marketing fluff. Audio frequencies are too low for the "skin effect" to make any difference you can hear. On the other hand, it isn't all that hard to design cables that make subtle changes to the sound.

This is an extremely controversial topic. You need to listen to the cables in your system to find out if there are audible differences that matter to you.
Thanks, Seldon. I feel warm all over ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by simonsez
I switched from Tributaties SP4 which is a silver/copper "twist" kinda like a candy cane to DH Labs T14 and realized a significant improvement in clarity - particularly in the upper frequencies.

Caveat: I terminated the SP 4 myself and the DH Labs came terminated with bananas. I would like to think it is the cable but more than likely it is the professional terminations. They are not terribly expensive so you really cannot go wrong.
I have been reading many favorable reviews that claim the T-14 doesn't have that harshness that many others associate with silver. I am giving serious consideration to purchasing some.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_R
After doing a blind cable comparison on my Denon 5700 / Studio 40 system I ended up purchasing 12g lamp cord from Home Depot. Why not get a couple cables together and audition them (if you feel that cables of similar gauges are capable of audible differences)?
My purpose in posing the topic of this thread was basicly to poll forum members. I have not formulated an opinion in this regard.

I am trying to become more educated with respect to cables. I seek the knowledge, experience and opinions of fellow forum members. After all, isn't that the whole goal of such forums?

I am interested in upgrading from the Monster XP that I currently use with my Klipsh KG4's for when I get new Paradigm Studio's to replace them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.