AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a benefit to using silver plated rca connectors as opposed to gold plated ones. please and thank you.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
silver or silver plated?

i just go for wbt topline

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
silver plated

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Silver tarnishes (oxidizes) like a mofo. Gold doesn't. That's why they use it.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Acoustic Research at BestBuy is good enough imho.

Most I would go is Tributaries Delta.

Frankly, any sound quality issues is going to be with my room setup and any introduced by cabling is negligable.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecpu8088
http://www.eichmanncables.com/bullet_plug/
Pseudoscience :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They believe brass RCA plugs act as a bottleneck to electron flow.

Brass plugs may also cause phase errors and smearing through mass and skin effect.

But they offer no scientific evidence.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Even better, their new connector "solves the problems of standard and audiophile grade RCA plugs by providing a faster, cleaner signal of high purity and detail."

Wow, a faster signal. Somebody could be up for a Nobel Prize... isn't that something you learn in high school anymore? Our education system has really fallen apart...

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
There may actually be some legal justification for that speed claim. The speed of propagation through different materials is different (I think).

Otoh, they could weasel on that one by saying that they mean "faster" as in a faster subwoofer. (Bullhockey, but unquantifiable.)

The rest of it is Grade-B cow chips. Soggy ones.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
No, you are correct in your statement that different materials have different propagation speeds, but the differences are pretty negligible and since the baseline speed is the speed of light (we're talking a couple times around the earth in a second) any small variances will be impossible to quantify. Furthermore, you're talking about a maximum travel distance of 1 inch. How much "faster" can the signal be?

FURTHERmore, they seem to have throttled the shield down to a single point to eliminate eddy current distortion (wtf?), which probably also increases resistance and reduces the benefit of their supposed speed gains.

It's the same argument as the power cord... can you put a fancy connector on a romex line and suddenly experience a dramatic improvement?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Ummm... No.

:D

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
I made a six channel cable that goes from my three stereo amps to the processor.It is 20' long and is made from Audioquest multistrand install wire.I used radioshack end connectors (male). They sound woderful and I finally broke my need for exotic cables.

You too can join me and break the bond!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran
I made a six channel cable that goes from my three stereo amps to the processor.It is 20' long and is made from Audioquest multistrand install wire.I used radioshack end connectors (male). They sound woderful and I finally broke my need for exotic cables.

You too can join me and break the bond!
connectors are not the same as cables. try wbt topline insteade of those rad shack male connectors. i have and i vouch not to spend any money on crappy ones which the golden plate (not gold plate) fell off after a few plug in and out actions

·
Registered
499 Posts
The reason wire (and sometimes connectors) are often silver plated/coated is that silver oxide conducts electricity well and copper oxide does not. Silver plated copper wire then has most of the physical benefits of copper (cost, durability, maleability, etc.) while not suffering from poor conducting when it oxidizes. As mentioned, gold doesn't oxidize like silver and copper, but it isn't cost effective to gold plate all of your wire. Since plating connectors is more cost-effective, they are often gold plated. When cost (and durability) is critical, nickel plating is used on connectors.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
"The reason wire (and sometimes connectors) are often silver plated/coated is that silver oxide conducts electricity well and copper oxide does not."

This is really only important when you get above 10 MHz frequency or so -- then

the electron flow does go out to the skin of the conductor. Silver plating really

works wonders for VHF and above tuned circuits. But this is NOT a factor at

audio frequencies. A very tiny bit of less loss for coax spdif or component video.

·
Registered
499 Posts
In most cases, the current must eventually go through the silver plating to the next point in the circuit. Depending on the type of connection, there may be little chance for oxidation at the interface, but some interfaces (like connectors as discussed here) will certainly have opportunity to oxidize in the signal path.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
You want gas-tight connections with or without plating.

Besides, it's awfully difficult to justify plating an entire cable because a 1 mm² patch may come in contact with something...

·
Registered
499 Posts
It must not be too hard to justify, it's pretty common for standard hookup wire at electronics shops to be silver over copper. Perhaps there's an additional reason I'm not aware of.

I agree that air-tight connections are best, but since we're talking about connectors like RCA plugs and speaker spades/bananas/binding posts, the connector can't really be protected from oxidation other than plating (although the connection from the wire to the connector can be air-tight).

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Quote:
It must not be too hard to justify, it's pretty common for standard hookup wire at electronics shops to be silver over copper. Perhaps there's an additional reason I'm not aware of.
If this is true I would be very reluctant in using such interconnects. The main reason is that silver does not have good adherence if plated directly over copper, so the silver will fell off for sure if you plug-unplug too frequently

Quote:
The reason wire (and sometimes connectors) are often silver plated/coated is that silver oxide conducts electricity well and copper oxide does not. Silver plated copper wire then has most of the physical benefits of copper (cost, durability, maleability, etc.) while not suffering from poor conducting when it oxidizes. As mentioned, gold doesn't oxidize like silver and copper, but it isn't cost effective to gold plate all of your wire. Since plating connectors is more cost-effective, they are often gold plated. When cost (and durability) is critical, nickel plating is used on connectors.
A silver plating usually requires a nickel layer over copper in order to obtain good adherence and good mechanical properties.... but nickel's conductivity is poor if compared to copper or silver conductivities.

Apart from that, the black stain that you usually see in apparently oxidised silver products not necessarily is silver oxide... The compound may be silver sulphide, a material with poor electrical conduction properties.

So IMO there's no point in using silver plated connectors

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.