AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in NYC(Staten Island), I just got delivery of the Silver Sensor. The posts here said it looked like a toy, but it worked. It is about 12" wide at the back(shaped like a wide arrow), about 13" long, and sits on its mount about 10" off of the ground. It's plastic and metal and comes with a 75ohm cable and US connector(input into 75ohm.). I bought it online from: www.nbtelectronics.com located in Mississaunga, Ontario, Canada. Cost: 49.95 canadian + 9.40 shipping canadian. It took about five days to get here(company emails you with a confirmation).

I hooked it up sitting on top of my STB and it pulls in ALL NYC OTA HD with 86-92 power(using an HD-100). That means I don't need an outside antenna(for now). I still can't pull in WNYE(PBS), but their signal is very weak. I had been using a RS double bow tie--the Sensor pulls in the stations better with more power and looks better. Will it receive stations from 100 miles away--I doubt it. But for about $ 37 US dollars it's a steal and it's indoors. BTW-does a fine job with FM, although it shouldn't. Hats off to the Brits !

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RZ:
BTW-does a fine job with FM, although it shouldn't. Hats off to the Brits !
This is strange, though I don't doubt your observation. The FM band is between TV VHF channels 6 and 7, so a UHF-only antenna shouldn't be effective. I just wonder if the FM stations you receive are strong to the point that the shielded cable is acting as an antenna or whether the special capacitance voltage surge protection network inside the Silver Sensor is somehow responsible for their reception.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I'm glad you're happy with your purchase!

I've had similar surprise results with the Silver Sensor on analog VHF channels here. CFTO Channel 9, for instance, comes in about equally well as CITY channel 57.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
220 Posts
I also have the Silver Sensor. I received my new (first) HDTV tuner this Friday and tried it out. After moving it all around my living room I discovered it works best on top of the tuner. Amazing for such a simple looking small antenna; the picture is incredible. Well HDTV is incredible and the sensor works. And it is so small.

It came form nbtelectronics as well. I have had for two months while I waited for the Hughes E-86 HDTV tuner to finally be released. Worth the wait.

HDTV is it. Makes many DVDs look like VHS.

------------------

Joe Cole

Quote:
Who's scruffy looking?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.