AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using this (indoor) antenna in this area with success? I'm on the verge of installing an outdoor antenna for OTA reception with my Sony HD-100, but would (obviously) like to "keep it simple" if possible. I have read the archives and can't find anyone specifically in my area with one, plus it's not like I can go down the street to try one, right? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Silver Sensor is a nicely-designed log periodic beam antenna. A log periodic is characterized by its low gain, but broadband performance. The elements look like tapered feathers on an arrow. As you travel up or down in frequency, the function of the elements change - some become active, others become passive (director or reflector).

I have used Silver Sensors indoors to watch DTV stations from as far away as 25 miles, provided they are fairly strong. I've also used the antenna in my basement to capture a few signals. A good outboard UHF preamp works wonders with this antenna, which is manufactured in the U.K. by Antiference Ltd.

The two-piece Channel Master 7775 works particularly well, even though it's really designed for mast-mounting.

The Silver Sensor does not handle multipath quite as well as some other designs. But it does a much better job than some of the "gadget" amplified antennas for UHF DTV reception (it is not a VHF antenna(.

KC

·
Registered
195 Posts
what is a good amp to use with silver sensor? i get two of the three channels here at 100 (90-100) and the third at zero. i would think zero is too low though.,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.