AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you using a Silver Sensor indoor-antenna, what kind of range are you getting? I guess what I'm asking is how far, in miles, are you pulling in reliable channels? Channels that stay on and don't have any kind of dropouts. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I own both the SS and the Radio Shack double bowtie. My one DT station I can pick up is about 30 miles away. I get it more reliably with the RS DBT than the SS.

I also have to use an inline antenna amplifier to boost the signal. Without the amplifier, I get frequent breakups. The amplifier has an FM trap, which also reduces breakup.

Either antenna is inside and sits on top of the TV.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not that I am claiming my results are typical, but I can reliably pick up two stations from 70 miles out (WCCB and WSOC in Charlotte.) I am in the foothills, the SS faces out a window that faces due east, a clear shot toward Charlotte.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm in the foothills 45 miles from the antenna farm and could pick up nothing indoors with the SS. When I moved it out on the deck I could pick up all stations but had to play with the antenna location when I changed channels. I returned the Silver Sensor and bought a Winegard PR8800 8-bay and everything comes in great.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
All my stations are 50 - 90 miles away. I pull 'em all in. Located indoor on top of my AV rack.

Brian

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by STR3T
Are these ranges rooftop or attic install?

One story home or higher?
Mine is located on the first floor of my home in a corner. I use two combined with a signal combiner for increased gain. The two are then run through a pre-amp.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, great replies. My situation is as follows. I am trying to get at least the big 3 stations, ABC, CBS, and NBC. NBC and ABC towers are located only about 6 miles away. The closest CBS towers is 54 and 53 miles away, I'm kinda in between 2 of them (one in Pittsburgh and the other in Cleveland.) I am really wanting the CBS one with the Super Bowl coming up so I am wondering if I am going to even have a chance of getting one of those 2 on a consistant basis?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use a Silver Sensor with my Hughes E86. I am less than 10 miles from the towers for CBS, NBC, ABC and WB and I pick them all up with only a few problems. None of them are broadcasting at full power. But I do have to change the direction of the antenna on top of my TV to get reception, and I still get drops outs from time to time. Sometimes it is perfect for days and days, and then soemtimes I get lots of drop outs and it is annoying all night. On the other hand, the closest UPN station tower is about 30 miles away, and I cannot get UPN at all. I'm located in an area of the city with (unfortunately) lots of multipath issues.

So based upon just my experience, I would think you would trouble getting CBS 54 miles away with an indoor Silver Sensor unless you have far less of a multipath problem than I do and/or unless your CBS station is broadcasting at full power.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hoops10
...The closest CBS towers is 54 and 53 miles away, I'm kinda in between 2 of them (one in Pittsburgh and the other in Cleveland.) I am really wanting the CBS one with the Super Bowl coming up so I am wondering if I am going to even have a chance of getting one of those 2 on a consistant basis?
I pull in my CBS station (KGPE) w/no problem at all using a SS and I'm ~60 miles away. I think I picked one up at BB for ~$30 figuring w/a 30 day return policy I had nothing to lose. When I plugged it in to my tuner, I really wasn't expecting anything. That first time I only pulled in 2 stations, one 10 miles away, and one 90 miles away. At that point it took a bit of tweaking but now I can get all my stations, except ABC which is VHF, np w/my trusty SS.

For $35 take a shot...you've got 30 days to take it back.

Brian

·
Registered
740 Posts
I can pull in all Toledo stations about 50 miles away. I live in Ann Arbor Mi. I can also get WLNS, Lansing CBS, 70 miles away. My antenna is indoors in the basement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm about 25 miles from the DC broadcast towers and I'm getting all stations with very few problems with my antenna mounted inside. Reception is surprisingly good considering that the antenna is mounted in a first floor room in the SW corner of my house while the towers are NE of me.

Chris

·
Registered
108 Posts
After hassling with my attic antenna and getting no results, I finally bought a SS at Best Buy. I really didn't think it would work, given my AV setup is in the basement and I just stuck the thing on top of the TV.

Lo and behold, I am getting good signals from everyone except Fox. The transmitters are 20 miles away.

Amazing that this insubstantial looking thing that my wife thinks is a model airplane works so well!

jb

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm about 30 miles from most of the Seattle HD broadcast towers. The SS didn't work at all for me. I ended up putting a CM-4228 with a 7775 pre-amp on my roof at about 15 feet high and am now getting all the available channels, though the WB comes and goes and reception goes to pot on most channels on windy days (multi-path is a pain).

·
Registered
67 Posts
All stations within the range of 23-25 miles. Silver Sensor located in basement rafters. Signal strength -> Low of 7/10 High of 9/10.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.