AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried both of these antennas and done a comparison?

Which one gives better results?

Thanks

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Dish 6000 + 8VSB, A/V Receiver=Marantz SR5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
Registered
856 Posts
In order, I tried the following indoor antennas sitting on top of my TV (Sony Wega KV-32XBR400) with a DirecTV OTA tuner (ProScan PSHD-105 ... same as RCA DTC-100) and a RadioShack antenna signal amplifier (which helps bigtime) and short runs of RG6 cable:

MegaWave MTV-1 ~$50.00

RadioShack double bowtie ~$15.00

Silver Sensor ~20.00

At first, the MegaWave got me almost nothing, so I put it away for a few months. The bowtie antenna did much better, but still not good enough. The Silver Sensor worked the best, but couldnt hold a good signal from the FOX station. A few months later (just before selling it) I tried the other antennas in the second antenna input, and the MegaWave was able to get the FOX station, but nothing else. If I were to rank them in order of best to worst, I'd say: Silver Sensor, Radio Shack, MegaWave (even though I am not using the RadioShack antenna, it did a better job of getting more stations thant the MegaWave, but for some reason the MegaWave was the only one that can hold FOX). The best advice is to try the easiest/cheapest ones (RadioShack) first because situations differ, and it might just work for you. The Silver Sensor does appear to be the best indoor antenna (based on the experiences of those who post here).

------------------

Rick W. Scogland

My Email Address:
[email protected]

My Home Theater:
The Scogland Home Theater

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Eram,

Although I never used the MegaWave, my experience with the RS bowtie and Silver Sensor was very similar to Rick's.

I'm approx. 30 miles from the towers, and with the RS bowtie could receive all but our local FOX station with signal strengths in the 60's. Moving up to the Silver Sensor I was able to boost my signal strength on these stations into the 70's and low 80's, and could pull in a weak FOX signal. (60's-70's) The Silver Sensor is much more directional than the RS bowtie...for decent results I had to reposition it for each station.

If you don't have any luck with these antennas you may need to move up to either a roof or attic installtion. I recently installed a Channel Master 3023. The CM3023 is identical to the more popular Channel Master 4248 except it comes in two pieces so shipping charges are greatly reduced. (if you can't pick it up locally)

I installed it in my attic (along with a rotor) and have realized a 15-20% signal boost over the Silver Sensor. I am now able to pull in the following:

ABC - 95-100%

NBC - 84-89%

CBS - 75-80%

PBS - 68-73% (out of state station...approximately 50 miles)

All in all a very worthwhile investment. You can see pictures of my installation here.

As with any antenna discussion please bear in mind that each situation is different. What works for me may not be appropriate for you.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

Chip

[This message has been edited by chs4 (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input.

I have a bowtie and can pull in all the stations 50s-60s but need to reposition it. I get 4 channels in one location and another 4 in a different location.

I live one mile from the World Trade Center where the transmitting stations are located but don't have a line of sight since I face the other way. I guess my problem is called multipath.

I am hoping that I don't need to reposition with the silver sensor if it is even more directional than the bowtie it will be hard. Is there a way to combine two antennas facing different directions and put them into one input.

I got the order from SHerman (silver sensor) but they have raised the price to $35 + $5 shipping and no return/refund policy so I will be stuck with it.

Eram

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Dish 6000 + 8VSB, A/V Receiver=Marantz SR5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts

Quote:
Is there a way to combine two antennas facing different directions and put them into one input.
Does your stb take two antenna feeds (like the rca dtc 100?)

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi all,

Purchased two Sensors several months back to experiment with.A great little antenna.

I mounted/weatherproofed one of them and used it on the tower at 30ft.(pre-amped) and it pulled in DT stations from two cities at different directions at 50-plus miles w/rock solid reception.

They are just lying around now,so they are for sale,if anyone's interested.E-mail me directly.

Also,they're plug&play with pal adapter and RS double-ended male adapter(gold-plated).

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dish 6000 only has one antenna input for OTA signals. Can I still combine them?

------------------

Eram

---------------------

·
Registered
105 Posts
cow736,

Quote:
I've looked around but can't find a Silver Sensor antenna locally. Any suggestions? I live in southern california.
Retail stores in the US don't carry them. I bought one here:

http://www.nbtelectronics.com

------------------

James

DVI/HDCP and DFAST are Pure Concentrated Evil!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ensyed:
My dish 6000 only has one antenna input for OTA signals. Can I still combine them?
combining antenna inputs is a bad idea. you are most likely to eliminate any reception either antenna had given you. basically, each one sends noise to the other.

there are some products which can combine signals (eg jointenna), but their efficacy is somewhat dubious from what i've read here. depending on which stations were needed from where, you could hire a local college EE to build you a custom bandpass filter, but that's probably more effort than it's worth.

dinesh

------------------

DVI/HDCP sucks. DFAST sucks. Boycott JVC.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ensyed:
Thanks for your input.

I live one mile from the World Trade Center where the transmitting stations are located...
I hope that you are okay in light of recent events. Seeing messages like this just make everything seem that much more intense.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I found wrapping (coiling) stripped heavy guage speaker wire around one of the elements of the Silver Sensor solved signal stability variations for me. I don't know why this works (my engineer brother who suggested it says that for the particular frequency I'm trying to receive the coiled wire changed the element's receptivity to more accurately be receptive to that given station). I have severe multipathing and discrete and different 'sweet' spots where a signal can be found. I also can't use the stand for the silver sensor because tilting orientation is the only way I can find the different signals. The other two antennas mentioned earlier in this thread were absolutely worthless for my situation.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I have tested my Channel Master double bow ties and the Silver sensor at my house and at 2 friends houses.

I would rate them as follows:

Best is 2 double bow ties mounted side by side, connected with a coupler, and adjusted so one is forward or behind the other as well as at the best aim. This adj needs tweaking for each channel, and the forward one is not always the same.

Next is more difficult since it depends on multipath.

If you need just gain the single double bow tie wins. It also like it's outdoor brothers wins when multipath is from behind.

But in very bad multipath from lots of directions the Silver Sensor seems best, vs a single double bow tie.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for checking on me. I work in the World Financial Center so I was not hurt. I am temporarily in offices 1 block from the former WTC.

I am not considering adding a conventional outdoor antenna to my balcony to try and get the ABC-HD channel from CT since the ABC-HD channel from NYC might take a while.

What is the range of a normal antenna?

Thanks

------------------

Eram

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
ensyed,

Often a good quality outdoor antenna can squeeze out 60-70 miles, if you have sufficient height, a good preamp and a relatively clear path to the tower. VHF usually has longer range than UHF. You probably don't have a very clear path to the transmitter, but it may well be worth a try.

Jim

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.