AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to get the perfect HDTV setup, I have been trying several different antennas. Most have been junk..

The one I have been happiest with is the Double Bowtie UHF Indoor Antenna ($15 at Radio Shack). I get a signal level of 70-80 on five or six channels, and good strong signals on the rest with a little tweaking.

I recently got a Silver Sensor, and after reading all the reviews here, I had high expactations. I have found it to be pretty good, but not as good as the double bowtie. I can get strong signals, but only on one channel can I get as strong a signal as on the double dowtie.

Does this sound reasonablebased on others experiences?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
tji,

I was also using a RS double bowtie before buying the Silver Sensor. I was actually able to boost signal strength by 20-30% on the stations I already received with the bowtie, and also picked up two more out-of-state stations I was never able to receive.

As has been stated in other posts, the Silver Sensor is highly directional. You may need to play with it's location and direction a while in order to get the best results.

I'm no expert so someone else may be able to give you more information regarding multipath, etc. that may be affecting your reception, but in my opinion it was money well spent.

Chip

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been using a Silver Sensar for 2 wks now. Never used the bowtie. I am 15 miles from the transmission towers in NYC and has been getting CBS, Fox and WB quite well but no luck with NBC. Yesterday, I placed the SS on the floor instead of on a stand, and NBC came on for the first time and I was able to watch the NBA game in HD. It is still working flawelessly pulling in all 4 stations without dropouts for hours. The antenna is pointing directly at a building 30 feet away through vertical blinds and a glass sliding door on the ground floor of my town house. I do not know why it works better this way. It is trial and error.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Darnell, I have gotten similar results, pointing my antenna away from my expected signal source has gotten better performance for me. I am not sure if I am picking up a reflected signal, or what.. but I get a good signal pointing my antenna to the West, even though the San Fran towers are to the North of me.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I refer to these as "sweet spots". There are different spots in my viewing area where I can get all stations.

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I first used the RS bowtie and read so much about the Silver Sensor that I got one. I went back to the bow tie.

Sold the SS.

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I have had good results with the Silver Sensor (for UHF) from the beginning; I was basically unable to get anything (but our one VHF station) with a "standard" combo antenna. The highly directional nature of the SS makes any movement (side-to-side or up-and-down) signal affecting. The trick is finding the sweet spot and hoping for clear weather...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I too use the RS double bow. I was thinking about getting two and hook then together to form an array. Will this work or will the two attenaes just interfer with one another?

David

[This message has been edited by dyip (edited 05-14-2001).]

·
Registered
105 Posts
With the RS Double Bow, I can pick up all 4 of my locals at usable strengths without moving the antenna. With the Silver Sensor, I have to move the antenna when I change channels, and the strengths really are no higher than what I can pick up with the Double Bow; so I stuck with the Double Bow.

------------------

James

DVI/HDCP and DFAST are Pure Concentrated Evil!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Some but not all folks tell how far from the broadcast towers they are when recommending (or not) an antenna. Obviously variables like station power, terrain, and vegetation also affect reception but to say how an antenna works w/o some criteria has limited utility. Looking for the maximum distance I guess for an antenna. For example: how far out does the RS bowtie typically work? 5 miles? 10 miles? 20 miles? TIA

[This message has been edited by bdenman (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
787 Posts
The thing with the rat shack bowtie is that you can return it if it doesn't work. Ive never tried the silver tingler, and Im sure it works well, but I didn't want to get stuck with anything if it didn't work.

Initially, the bow tie by itself didn't work at all. When I hooked it up with an linline amp, it made all the difference. Now I get all the ota signals in nyc including wnye(pbs) in brooklyn.

Here are the model numbers.

Double bow tie antenna from radio shack (Model 15-623) $15.99

Inline signal amp,also from the rat shack. (Model 15-1170) $24.95

You can look up the model numbers from their website.
Radio Shack

They have a great return policy and everyone should take advantage of it. No risk, I love it.

K

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dyip:
I too use the RS double bow. I was thinking about getting two and hook then together to form an array. Will this work or will the two attenaes just interfer with one another?

David
At the very least, it should increase signal strength by a bit less than 2X (some gets eaten up by the combiner), as long as the antennas are properly positioned.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have both and find they're good for different things. The bowtie is better for the stunningly clean line-of-site signals I get from the World Trade Center, but I seem to need the directionality of the Silver Sensor to get CBS-DT via a reflection from the Empire State Building.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bdenman:

Some but not all folks tell how far from the broadcast towers they are when recommending (or not) an antenna. Obviously variables like station power, terrain, and vegetation also affect reception but to say how an antenna works w/o some criteria has limited utility. Looking for the maximum distance I guess for an antenna. For example: how far out does the RS bowtie typically work? 5 miles? 10 miles? 20 miles?
I use the RS Double Bow, sitting on top of the TV, with no amplifier. I'm 20-22 miles from the transmitters. My signal strengths for the 4 stations are from 65-100, depending on the station.

------------------

James

DVI/HDCP and DFAST are Pure Concentrated Evil!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.