AVS Forum banner

1921 - 1940 of 1979 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Has anyone compared the AT screens on silver ticket to the DIY options that many people on here use?

This sounds easier, and it's a couple hundred more. At that price point, I would go silver ticket if the quality (sound and picture) were better.

But if the screens are better for the DIY options (Millskin / spandex, I think I read about) I might convince myself to venture and do that - Woodworking is not my forte.

Any thoughts?
Silver Ticket screens are high quality and very inexpensive compared to other options. If you can afford a HT with projector then you can afford a decent screen IMO.

Woodworking is not my forte.
Re: spandex I think you've answered your own question! :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Silver Ticket screens are high quality and very inexpensive compared to other options. If you can afford a HT with projector then you can afford a decent screen IMO.

Re: spandex I think you've answered your own question! :)
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just ordered the 138 inch acoustic transparent ST screen and will arrive Monday. I will be installing In Wall Klipsch 5502’s. Will I need to extend out the screen from the wall for sound purposes or is the thickness of the frame from the wall sufficient?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Does anyone have first-hand experience with the Silver Ticket 2.2 gain material? Most interested in hot spots or sparkles…

The price on the raw material looks really reasonable cost wise, might have to give this a try.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I just ordered the 138 inch acoustic transparent ST screen and will arrive Monday. I will be installing In Wall Klipsch 5502’s. Will I need to extend out the screen from the wall for sound purposes or is the thickness of the frame from the wall sufficient?
If it is the woven material then no, you'll be fine with just a couple of inches of clearance between the back of the screen and front of the speaker/s.

I use the ST woven fabric screen in this manner and it works great.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If it is the woven material then no, you'll be fine with just a couple of inches of clearance between the back of the screen and front of the speaker/s.

I use the ST woven fabric screen in this manner and it works great.
Thanks for the response and makes sense. Yes it is an AT screen. Did you use the black backing? I plan to paint my wall behind the screen dark but debating.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Thanks for the response and makes sense. Yes it is an AT screen. Did you use the black backing? I plan to paint my wall behind the screen dark but debating.
From what I have read you will want to paint behind the screen also make sure that your speakers dont have any reflective surfaces as you may see them through the screen.

·
Registered
141 Posts
From what I have read you will want to paint behind the screen also make sure that your speakers dont have any reflective surfaces as you may see them through the screen.
Rather than use the black backing? The Klipsch has gold but plan on using the speaker grill.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Rather than use the black backing? The Klipsch has gold but plan on using the speaker grill.
Cant say for certain but I am fairly sure that if you use the speaker grill you should be fine. Obviously the black backing on the screen will help. I was mainly referring to painting. I have read several threads where users had to go back and paint because of reflections coming through.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I painted the wall behind the screen black. I did try the black cloth that comes with the screen but no matter how or what I used to attach it, it kept falling down. So I removed it and just have the black wall.
I didn't notice any changes in the sound with it without it tho.

·
Registered
403 Posts
So I got my Silver Ticket 1.3 setup yesterday, I ended up making a new wooden frame rather than re-using the frame from my Elunevision. I have to say I am extremely impressed with this material for what it costs. It is every bit as smooth and texture free as my elune reference 4K was. There is no loss of sharpness whatsoever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I got my Silver Ticket 1.3 setup yesterday, I ended up making a new wooden frame rather than re-using the frame from my Elunevision. I have to say I am extremely impressed with this material for what it costs. It is every bit as smooth and texture free as my elune reference 4K was. There is no loss of sharpness whatsoever.
No hot spots either?

What throw ratio are you using?

·
Registered
403 Posts
No hot spots, no sparklies. I'm running a JVC X770R (RS520) with zoom maxed out, 108" diagonal from about 11' (I'm very limited by the geometry of my room).

·
Registered
6 Posts
May I ask how you did your frame?

I purchased the same material and trying to figure out what works.

The material itself seems fragile to me so I'm worried about using staples to attach to a frame. Considering using grommets but would like some input from someone who's done it.

Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
May I ask how you did your frame?

I purchased the same material and trying to figure out what works.

The material itself seems fragile to me so I'm worried about using staples to attach to a frame. Considering using grommets but would like some input from someone who's done it.

Thanks
I stapled. Make sure the staples are parallel to the edge and space them very close. I did a staple every inch or so all the way around. I started in the middle of a long side and did about a foot and the went to the opposite, stretched as hard as I could and did the same (don’t cut the excess off until you’re done, it’s easier to stretch if you can fold and grip a handful). Then I did the same to the short sides and then worked my way around doing about a foot at a time before moving to an opposing side.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I did a write-up for HTF with my experience with the Silver Ticket 125" 2.35:1 WVS AT screen. Going AT let me also go 2.35:1 while only losing ~3" of 16:9 screen size... I had to give up my B&W towers and center, but the Monolith THX-LCR in-walls I replaced them with haven't disappointed either. As for the screen, it's absolutely top-notch considering the price and 2.35:1 still being a niche offering. Only complaint, more for non-DIY folks than myself, is the printed instructions are useless... though ST's YouTube video instructions more than makeup for that.

Reactions: by96 and Larson275

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys,

Instead of starting a new thread, thought might be better to post in here.

I'm thinking of picking up a 135" 16:9 Silver Ticket screen. I currently have a 120" Fixed Draper 16:9 white screen of unknown gain since it was given to me. I'm planning to upgrade my projector from a 65ES to a NX5 and thought maybe I should increase the screen size.

My projector sits about 15' from the screen. My seating is 10' from the screen. It's a completely light controlled basement room with dark grey painted walls. I'm a little confused with screens with the white vs silver, gain, etc. Can you all point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Hey guys,

Instead of starting a new thread, thought might be better to post in here.

I'm thinking of picking up a 135" 16:9 Silver Ticket screen. I currently have a 120" Fixed Draper 16:9 white screen of unknown gain since it was given to me. I'm planning to upgrade my projector from a 65ES to a NX5 and thought maybe I should increase the screen size.

My projector sits about 15' from the screen. My seating is 10' from the screen. It's a completely light controlled basement room with dark grey painted walls. I'm a little confused with screens with the white vs silver, gain, etc. Can you all point me in the right direction?
If the room is not treated, then treat it.

And the get a stewart screen. Don't cheap out.

1921 - 1940 of 1979 Posts