AVS Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 1979 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Absolutely get a ST screen if that is what fits your budget. I personally would never spend more, at least not in a light-controlled room.

And if you are a movie watcher, and not TV and/or Sports, then Brightness is overrated. We enjoy even 3D movies (which need lots of light) on our grey ST and they are great.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Scroll back a few pages or click the link in my signature and check out my write-up of the ST WVS acoustically transparent offerings. I've been extremely impressed with both the WVS and the 1.0 Grey, and would still be at 1.5-2x the price

·
Registered
76 Posts
Absolutely get a ST screen if that is what fits your budget. I personally would never spend more, at least not in a light-controlled room.
Didn't read all 97 pages of this thread, so I am not sure if ST stands for SilverTicket or StudioTek, but I think the latter (because searching for "ST130" gives that) which apparently is over $3,000 and I find it odd that you say you wouldn't spend more on a screen in a light-controlled room. Are these screens really that good compared to SilverTicket or EliteScreens which cost 10x less?

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Didn't read all 97 pages of this thread, so I am not sure if ST stands for SilverTicket or StudioTek, but I think the latter (because searching for "ST130" gives that) which apparently is over $3,000 and I find it odd that you say you wouldn't spend more on a screen in a light-controlled room. Are these screens really that good compared to SilverTicket or EliteScreens which cost 10x less?
This is a Silver Ticket thread, so safe to assume ST stands for that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Measured Gains of All Silver Ticket Screen Materials

I received the sample kit and measured the gains of each material. The gain measurements are correct in relative terms, but the values are assuming 1.0 for the white paper. The R,G,B percentages are relative to the 1.3 gain raw material, as that's what I calibrated my projector to.

Material; Gain; R,G,B percentages
Walmart Pen Gear 92 White Paper: 1.00 (reference) 101, 100, 101
1.3 Raw Material: 1.11 100, 100, 100 (reference)
1.1 Matte white: 0.99 98, 100, 101
1.0 Matte grey: 0.59 95, 100, 106
0.95 High Contrast Grey: 0.67 101, 100, 98
1.5 Silver Glossy Side 1.03 99, 100, 102
1.5 Silver Matte Side: 0.66 99, 100, 102
1.1 Woven Acoustic WAB: 0.74 98, 100, 101
Awesome post. I know its old. However, it seems you chose a 1.3 Raw.

I have the 1.1 matte white with Epson 5050ub in a light controlled environment. It looks really good in most situations, but the black levels drive me a little nuts in darker scenes (think Mandalorian). I'm considering moving to the HC Grey, but am pretty shocked by the amount of drop-off you see here.

Some questions:
  1. Given the gain of the HC Grey and Matte Grey are similar, would the regular grey be a better choice?
  2. Is the silver glossy side even usable?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll let you know once it's installed, I guess. I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I haven't decided on a screen. Maybe I'll order everything else and save the screen for last.

I'll have two rows: 11.5' and 19' in a 16x25' room with 10' ceilings. Planning 7.1.4 since I don't really trust the 13 channel pre/pro offerings out there right now- too many bugs.
Did you pull the trigger? What are your thoughts?

I've got the Epson 5050UB with the ST white 1.1 with a VERY similar room layout which has good light control. I love it in most situations, but hate the black levels when watching dark movies or scenes (like some of them in Mandalorian). The grey bars in 2:35 drive me a bit nuts too. Considering going to HC Grey, Silver, or Grey, but worried that I'll lose the beautiful whites and colors that I have now on the white. However, I'm thinking that since everything is relative that if I had a whole screen of the darker material that my eyes / brain wouldn't really notice the drop off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I too have good light control, but still chose the High Contrast simply because, after living with a white screen for many years, I wanted to go to the dark side!

;)

A new UHD TV that I bought has such ultra blacks, I want to try to see similar in my new HT. Only yesterday did I unbox and assemble my STR-235125-HC; what a pleasure that was i.e. the parts & pieces all went together well and the screen material is pretty awesome. I will report-in here when I get the new PJ running.

EDIT: Put-up the first images from my Sony 385 pj and the results are astonishing. The HC material is somewhat disconcerting out-of-the-box because it is so grey looking, but put a picture up on it and it is fantastic. Blacks are black and whites are white; no anomalies that I can detect. Glad I went with Silver Ticket and the High Contrast material.
Still happy with the HC Grey? How is the hot spotting? In other rooms I have an OLED TV and a Sony bravia 900f. I know I'll never achieve those levels of black, but they do set a pretty high bar that makes projector black levels hard to accept.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Awesome post. I know its old. However, it seems you chose a 1.3 Raw.

I have the 1.1 matte white with Epson 5050ub in a light controlled environment. It looks really good in most situations, but the black levels drive me a little nuts in darker scenes (think Mandalorian). I'm considering moving to the HC Grey, but am pretty shocked by the amount of drop-off you see here.

Some questions:
  1. Given the gain of the HC Grey and Matte Grey are similar, would the regular grey be a better choice?
  2. Is the silver glossy side even usable?
A grey screen can improve poor black levels resulting from non-ideal rooms. It will not improve the black level of projectors that are lacking in black levels.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Still happy with the HC Grey? How is the hot spotting? In other rooms I have an OLED TV and a Sony bravia 900f. I know I'll never achieve those levels of black, but they do set a pretty high bar that makes projector black levels hard to accept.
Yes, very, very happy. No hotspotting whatsoever. I'd gotten the HC cuz I came from "paper white" and an old PJ that just did dirty grey. My Sony 385ES is awesome, and now I really enjoy space epics including 3D like "Gravity".

We're planning on building an addition to our vaca home that will have a LR that needs a TV and I will likely get an 8K Samsung. Wifey won't let me spend $50K but I'll try to get an 85"er anyway.

But my HT is the ultimate (for me) re: "Movie Theater in the Home" which btw is all I watch there except for a few concert-type programs. No sports or TV where bigtime Pop is needed.

·
Registered
151 Posts

I received the sample kit and measured the gains of each material. The gain measurements are correct in relative terms, but the values are assuming 1.0 for the white paper. The R,G,B percentages are relative to the 1.3 gain raw material, as that's what I calibrated my projector to.

Start by saying, still a great post Dominic that has brought in a lot of discussion.

I contacted Silver Ticket a number of times about screens and they have been absolutely fantastic to work with. I've been talking to them about exchanging my Matte White for a different screen since I'm still in the 30 day return window - way better than just returning to Amazon and buying another. I sent emails to Elite Screens, Carl's, Screen Innovations, and Silver Ticket. Silver Ticket has responded every single time within hours. The others took days, except for elite who still hasn't responded.

Anyway, in my most recent email I pointed them to your post and asked them why your measured gains differ from their website. The following is what they responded:

"The gains do fluctuate in production, but not to the extremes that many people say. But we get people who say they are too bright and people who say they are right on, and people who say they are too low. Many people use cell phone apps or little cheap light meters. Many times the standard they use is not a real standard. They use something white that is not made as a reference. Our testing is done with special white blocks that are 1.0 standard and that is how it is done. The blocks and tools we use are in the $30,000 plus range. Plus special rooms for testing. Many times people are using their projector for their light source and the light can greatly fluctuate from second to second. When they read one material they could be right on and the next material it can change greatly. We use special lighting that doesn't fluctuate as well."

So, I'm curious about what equipment you used for your measurements?

Note also that the matte materials have the same gains over a wide viewing angle, whereas the gains for other materials fall off rapidly off centre (hotspotting):

Using my obviously flawed method I definitely can confirm that the different materials have different viewing angles.

In the following screenshots I have the Silver (left), Matte Gray (Middle), HC Grey (Right) samples. You can see as I rotate the samples that the Silver and HC Grey turn dark while the Matte Gray continues to reflect light normally. Please note that I was obviously bending the samples which affects the picture, but you can still see the affect.

All of these are taken with me holding them up to my matte white screen (ST). I also had the matte white sample, but there was not point in showing it as it looks exactly like the backing screen now matter how I hold it.

ST-Cards-1.jpg ST-Cards-2.jpg ST-Cards-3.jpg

Note: I will post more pics of my comparisons in a follow-on. However, all of that said, from direct on, all of the materials look really good. Trying to judge the impact of viewing angle with the 8.5 x 11" sample is difficult and I'm hoping I can get some info back from Silver Ticket about their measured viewing angles.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Not surprisingly, the measured gains are less than the rated values, some significantly so. The worst one is the Silver material - 0.66 vs 1.5 for the matte side which supposedly is the front.

Note also that the matte materials have the same gains over a wide viewing angle, whereas the gains for other materials fall off rapidly off centre (hotspotting):

I have also posted a picture comparing the smoothness of the 1.3 with the 1.1:
Screen Recommendation for JVC X790R

@Dominic Chan Thanks for putting this out..
What are your thoughts on WAB 120" screen with JVC RS420?. I have a light controlled room, at .74 measured gain i don't want to loose brightness. Thanks !

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
So, I'm curious about what equipment you used for your measurements?
My previous post, the one that you quoted, already clarified that
The gain measurements are correct in relative terms, but the values are assuming 1.0 for the white paper.
and was elaborated in another post

Using my obviously flawed method I definitely can confirm that the different materials have different viewing angles.

In the following screenshots I have the Silver (left), Matte Gray (Middle), HC Grey (Right) samples. You can see as I rotate the samples that the Silver and HC Grey turn dark while the Matte Gray continues to reflect light normally. Please note that I was obviously bending the samples which affects the picture, but you can still see the affect.
The significant variaion in the viewing angles was also mentioned in my previous post:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks for sharing your other post as well! It was interesting to see some of the information about the type of equipment used. It would be really great if there was a third party certification lab which regulated the claims and measurements. Perhaps r8tings.com will start doing that for projector screens someday. With UST projectors going mainstream I wouldn't be surprised if that happens soon.

The significant variation in the viewing angles was also mentioned in my previous post:

View attachment 3062971
Yep, that's why I also quoted that before sharing some additional pics which also demonstrate the drop off. 😉

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,
I am interested in a Silver Ticket 150” screen. I have a dedicated media room with no windows and the room is quite dark. I have a Vava 4K US projector and I would be mainly using it to watch movies. The wall and ceiling of the media room are painted in creamish brown color (repainting is not a option). Which screen type and material I should be looking for? I read somewhere that only White and Grey are suitable for UST projection and Silver and High Contrast are not recommended.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Hi friends,
I was an early adopter of Silver Ticket screens...I bought a 120" AT screen in September of 2015. (My review is in this thread, I think.) I have the 'original' WAB fabric, but understand that the newer WVS has a tighter weave. I've upgraded my PJ from a JVC-RS46 to a RS-520 (faux 4-k) since then. Anyone have any experience with both fabrics that can give me some advice on whether to buy a new screen fabric in the WVS?

1941 - 1960 of 1979 Posts