AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a silver Xbox to match the rest of my components. I've seen the sticker mods you can apply, but would prefer to get one that is all silver if possible. Has anyone seen these available anywhere?

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Torx wrenches will take the Xbox apart rather easily, and a set of bits can be had at Sears for like 5$ if you already have a driver. then you just need some spray paint and proper painting technique.

if you do not already have the requisite painting technique, then do a Google for PC Case Painting. just make sure to read one that utilizes primer and a protective top coat.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I had a friend do the Silver/chrome stick-on thing. When he ordered it I told him he was a moron and that it would be horrible (he is also a big fan of getting everything to match). I saw it after he put them on and I was damn impressed. I wouldn't order any of the wacked out designs or anything but that silver came out great. Painting is another option but I figured I'd add this since I had actually seen it and it looked pretty good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to hear that the stickers look decent. I would probably mess it up if I tried painting, but might give the stickers a try. I wish they just made the console in silver, instead of the ugly green that just came out.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xerin
instead of the ugly green that just came out.
have you seen the greeen one or just pictures, cause the pictures make it look like crap, it looks much better than the regular xbox

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xerin
Good to hear that the stickers look decent. I would probably mess it up if I tried painting, but might give the stickers a try. I wish they just made the console in silver, instead of the ugly green that just came out.
I'm not sure where he got it. I think maybe System Mods or something. I can't vouch for any other skin or any other color scheme than the one he got. His looked really good but the whole "skin" idea to me is pretty cheese so I don't want to throw out a blanket recommendation. Also, you need to pay attention when applying them to make them come out right. He actually made a tiny tear in one of the skins removing it from the package (afterwhich he was much more careful). Don't hit the triple expresso at Starbucks first if you want it to look perfect.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the links. I haven't seen the green Xbox personally, only pics. I'm just surprised that Microsoft is making black, clear, and green Xboxes and not providing a silver version, given that so many other system components are silver. I would like to buy one that is already silver, but the only option I've found so far is a modded box that costs over $300.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks for the comments :) Really though it isn't very hard, you will void your warranty if you want to do a real good job, but spend some time and mask it properly, apply a couple layers and make sure it's spread out evenly so you avoid "blobbing". I'd never painted anything before, so I'm pretty proud of the results. I also painted my DC but in hindsight the 2 tone job on it looks horrible.

Psycho.. post some pics, it sounds interesting.. I considered the PS2 but it looked too hard to get every nook and cranny..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.