AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have migrated from TIVO to WMC for streaming Netflix, and installed the silverlight plugin. TIVO would stream 720P from netflix.

Question is , will silverlight stream 720P?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Do you think the Netflix WMC plugin ever will allow HD streaming? I know they're concerned about piracy and all, but if that's the case, why don't they appear to worry about piracy of the millions of DVDs and Blu-Rays they mail out every week?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreese831 /forum/post/18310309


Do you think the Netflix WMC plugin ever will allow HD streaming? I know they're concerned about piracy and all, but if that's the case, why don't they appear to worry about piracy of the millions of DVDs and Blu-Rays they mail out every week?

It's not Netflix that's placing the restrictions. The limitations are probably part of licensing agreements with movie studios and other content providers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,710 Posts
I saw this on HD nation the other day. There were rumors that netflix was going to start streaming in hd on a pc this year. But they confirmed this to be false.


They also mentioned you can use a ps3 or an xbox360 to get netflix in HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/18310355


It's not Netflix that's placing the restrictions. The limitations are probably part of licensing agreements with movie studios and other content providers.

which is stupid.


i realize they are worried about pirates and all, but really 99% of people who would stream the movie would not have a desire to copy it, they'd have no need to, since the HD stream would be available all the time, it'd be a waste of time and hdd space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/18311350


Silverlight doesn't support HDCP.

is there really a technical limitation as to why i can't get netflix hd on my htpc?


this has been a huge peeve of mine since i started with this htpc project.

it just seems like they just want to force you to buy another piece of hardware. and to me, that's one of the points of having an HTPC, everything (dvr, live tv, bluray, games, etc) all in one box.


why would an roku be able to stream HD and not a PC? i have a rather big internet connection, and a fairly powerful htpc, i can't say that it is a hardware issue.


i would just be happy if they would at least address the issue and give a concrete answer as to if/when/why/why not they will EVER have streaming HD.


if it is licensing, just admit it. if it is technical, farking fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/18313442


which is stupid.


I realize they are worried about pirates and all, but really 99% of people who would stream the movie would not have a desire to copy it, they'd have no need to, since the hd stream would be available all the time, it'd be a waste of time and hdd space.

+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,786 Posts
The piracy claim is bunk.


The reason they want us off WMC is they receive a licensing fee for the technology in Roku, Tivo, etc. Considering MS still refuses to even license the technology for Blu-Ray, it's a fair bet Redmond isn't paying Netflix anything for the WMC plugin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow /forum/post/18313884


The piracy claim is bunk.


The reason they want us off WMC is they receive a licensing fee for the technology in Roku, Tivo, etc. Considering MS still refuses to even license the technology for Blu-Ray, it's a fair bet Redmond isn't paying Netflix anything for the WMC plugin.

Before the WMC plug-in, Netflix has already been available on web browsers. If the only reason for not having Netflix HD via the plug-in was because of Microsoft not wanting to pay for licensing, then we should have gotten Netflix HD via web browser.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow /forum/post/18313884


The piracy claim is bunk.


The reason they want us off WMC is they receive a licensing fee for the technology in Roku, Tivo, etc. Considering MS still refuses to even license the technology for Blu-Ray, it's a fair bet Redmond isn't paying Netflix anything for the WMC plugin.

Then why does the xbox have HD streaming? Are they subsidizing it with the xbox live revenue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/18313442


i realize they are worried about pirates and all, but really 99% of people who would stream the movie would not have a desire to copy it, they'd have no need to, since the HD stream would be available all the time, it'd be a waste of time and hdd space.

It only takes one person who wants to pirate it to make it available to all, not the 99% who don't mind just streaming it. Yes I know that the 1 person can just do it via other means, I'm just saying...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru /forum/post/18314284


It only takes one person who wants to pirate it to make it available to all, not the 99% who don't mind just streaming it. Yes I know that the 1 person can just do it via other means, I'm just saying...

my point was even if someone did capture the stream and make it available, most would still just stream it.


In the end people are going to do what is easiest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/18314526


my point was even if someone did capture the stream and make it available, most would still just stream it.


In the end people are going to do what is easiest.

Not all streaming videos are available indefinitely. Many go offline at different points. Presumably due to studio's desires (for whatever reason.) As such, if they have a reason to want shows be only available for certain periods, it would stand to reason that they want people to not be able to copy the HD version of it.


Given the trivial ease with which a person can copy an on demand show (with Play On, I can literally press the record button on the remote and it will start copying the stream to the HDD) it would not take a huge leap in logic to determine that the studios don't want HD quality versions anywhere close to the computer.


Also, there is still a large demand for offline videos. The ability to play while not attached to a high speed network being one of the main ones.


The idea that just because a video is always available on Netflix's site so why copy it, is shortsighted for both of the above reasons.


-Suntan
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow /forum/post/18313884


The piracy claim is bunk.


The reason they want us off WMC is they receive a licensing fee for the technology in Roku, Tivo, etc. Considering MS still refuses to even license the technology for Blu-Ray, it's a fair bet Redmond isn't paying Netflix anything for the WMC plugin.

You also have to take into account that various world governments like to fund themselves by suing Microsoft for stupid reasons. For example, Microsoft FINALLY finished taking care of the lawsuits which arose when they started giving away a free browser in their operating system. Imagine the lawsuits if they started giving away a free BluRay player in the operating system!


They were purposefully behind the times on DVD (XP would not play them on their own) to prevent being sued over it. The same will happen with BR. I doubt the next MS OS released will play them natively...but I suspect the one after that will. So in another 5 years or so, MS will do it.


Blame the greedy world governments, not MS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
I thought the official stance on bluray from MS was that the licensing would have added to much to the cost of Win7. There was too much riding on Win 7 being a success to risk the higher price.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top