AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Silverstone LC-16m case that simply won't take my LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo drive. I've spent hours fiddling with it, adusting screws, trimming the lip edge off the drawer to try to get it to open without catching on the inside of the case, and finally have it working that way, but the eject button on the drive won't line up properly with the eject button on the face of the case. The Silverstone eject button assembly mounts to the case with a sliding plastic bar that allows some play each way, but even after I glued an extra piece of plastic onto it to try to reach the button on the drive, it still wasn't working. The only way I could consistently get the drive to open was to remove the case button altogether and stick a paperclip through the hole until I hit the button on the drive and got it to open. I consider this to be a really half-assed way of doing things and I sure didn't spend $240 on this case a few years back to have to poke at it with a paperclip.

I tried contacting Silverstone tech support and after they ignored at least three e-mails, I called their tech support number and got some dolt who gave me a generic non-answer about adjusting screws and things until I get it to work.

Anyone else have this case and a similar LG drive and have any success in getting the two to work together? If so, I'd appreciate any hints.

Thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousygolfer /forum/post/18265748

I've got a Silverstone LC-16m case that simply won't take my LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo drive. I've spent hours fiddling with it, adusting screws, trimming the lip edge off the drawer to try to get it to open without catching on the inside of the case, and finally have it working that way, but the eject button on the drive won't line up properly with the eject button on the face of the case. The Silverstone eject button assembly mounts to the case with a sliding plastic bar that allows some play each way, but even after I glued an extra piece of plastic onto it to try to reach the button on the drive, it still wasn't working. The only way I could consistently get the drive to open was to remove the case button altogether and stick a paperclip through the hole until I hit the button on the drive and got it to open. I consider this to be a really half-assed way of doing things and I sure didn't spend $240 on this case a few years back to have to poke at it with a paperclip.

I tried contacting Silverstone tech support and after they ignored at least three e-mails, I called their tech support number and got some dolt who gave me a generic non-answer about adjusting screws and things until I get it to work.

Anyone else have this case and a similar LG drive and have any success in getting the two to work together? If so, I'd appreciate any hints.

Thanks

I have these two parts and they are working fine for me. Trouble is its been a while since I put the drive in so I'll have to take my machine apart (unless you hear from someone else) which I can't do for a few days. I did have some initial issues getting it to fit, but then found a "sweet spot" somehow. I'll get back to you when I can..

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I really appreciate it. My first HTPC, which was mostly just a mix of components I had handy that I put in a free-after-rebate Ultra case, went together very easily so when I decided to do a purpose-built second HTPC with an upscale Silverstone case, it surprised the heck out of me how much trouble I had every step of the way.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I recently rebuilt my HTPC in an LC-16 case, and am very pleased with it so far. I dropped in my Pioneer BDC-202 blu-ray drive, and other than doing a dry run to make sure I got the screw holes in the right place to make sure it lined up with the button on the front flap, everything worked fine.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I did with my first drive, a Lite-On DVD burner, which worked fine. Drives don't have standard lengths, sizes, button and hole locations, etc... The LG is definitely not an exact equivalent to my old Lite-On and presumably, a Pioneer Blu-Ray drive, either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts