AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to purchase my first (hopefully only one for a long time:) ) front projector.

I am considering the Dwin TV3 vs the Sim2 Domino 30 projectors. (The link is to a comparison.)

I have been very impressed with the Sim2, but am concerned that I will be sorry if I get a projector that does not have a DVI or HDMI input. (I would go for the Sim2 HT300 Link if it were 5K less).

From what I see here are some pros and cons:

Pros for Sim2 Domino 30
  • Cost
  • Powered Zoom Lens
  • 6000 Hour Life Bulb
  • 1600X1200 Max Resolution
Cons for Sim2 Domino 30
  • No Digital Output
Pros for DWIN TV3
  • DVI Output
  • Separate processor box to locate close to video sources
Cons for DWIN TV3
  • Cost
  • 2000 hour life bulb (like most other projectors)
  • Less automation of features

I have not listed things such as Chip, etc. I am thinking they are the same.

I guess as I look at the list, the main thing that makes me consider the Dwin over the Sim2 is the DVI. Am I putting too much importance on that?

I have viewed the Sim2, and the picture is great. Also, the sales person demoing it showed the remote controlled settings capability; keystone settings with remote; etc. This was VERY EARLY in my evaluation (only 2 weeks ago), and I was left feeling like some of those features were absent on many devices, and were a definite plus (good salesmanship?)

Haven't viewed a Dwin yet. Don't have anything to compare to personally other than a little reading.

BTW, I am planning on building an HTPC.

One other topic on this (Should I start a different thread?):

With the statement that I am a fairly technical PC/Gadget guy, but no technical guru, should I definitly plan on having a professional come in and calibrate, etc? Or will the frustration of trial and error be worth the expense of a pro? On that topic, I might point out that this week, I had a conversation with a '(I don't remember the acronym) certified' person. Definitely showed his knowledge; demonstrated a little arrogance; did fair job of selling the value of using a certified person to come in and set up and calibrate (fear factor?).

Thanks for your input.

Roger

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ewingr
I guess as I look at the list, the main thing that makes me consider the Dwin over the Sim2 is the DVI. Am I putting too much importance on that?
Where do you live? If you live in Europe, it might not be a big deal. In the US, I would not buy any digital projector that did not have DVI/HDCP or HDMI.

Even if you don't live in the US, it is generally accepted that a DVI/HDMI connection will maximize picture quality from digital sources.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in the U.S.

I'm not sure why living in the U.S. vs. Europe would make a difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ewingr

I'm not sure why living in the U.S. vs. Europe would make a difference.
From what I have seen, HDCP does not seem to be an issue in Europe. In the US, though, it is a big issue. I know Seleco (Italian company) did not put DVI on the Dominos and even though the Extra has DVI, it does not have HDCP. This has steered some US buyers away from the lower end Selecos. Only the Link has HDCP and it is only on the HDMI input, not the DVI.

Either way, since you live in the US, I still would recommend that you buy a projector with HDCP compliance. I know most people here would agree with me as well.

Other than that, I have seen the TV3 and it is a very nice projector. I have not seen the selecos, but Andrea Manuti has done several comparisons with them. Check for his posts.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I was told this is also coming at CES by a Sim2 rep. I am hopeful the extra will have hdmi which I was told at CES will replace dvi. Has anyone else heard this? Thanks Greg

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fredrik Rasmussen
Sim2 will release the DOMINO 20H and the DOMINO30H in the Febuary/March timeframe with HDMI inputs. I would get those if I were you!
Wow! That would definately put the Domino 30 back on my short list!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds to me like a wait for the 30H. That timeframe probably fits with my schedule anyway. Hope that timeframe is accurate (my pocketbook is hot!

:D )

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
With the statement that I am a fairly technical PC/Gadget guy, but no technical guru, should I definitly plan on having a professional come in and calibrate, etc? Or will the frustration of trial and error be worth the expense of a pro? On that topic, I might point out that this week, I had a conversation with a '(I don't remember the acronym) certified' person. Definitely showed his knowledge; demonstrated a little arrogance; did fair job of selling the value of using a certified person to come in and set up and calibrate (fear factor?).
Any input on the above quote?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.