AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received from the SIM2 mailing list. I don't think they mind me posting it here:

NO RAINBOW EFFECT and 16:9 IMAGES WITHOUT PRE-PROCESSING with the new features available on the HT 200DM DLPTM technology-base

SIM2 Multimedia, the leading manufacturer in home theatre applications, announces a new version of the HT200 DLPTM technology-based model - the HT200DM (Dual Mode) - the latest addition to the Grand Cinema series. The award-winning HT200 will also have a version with new features that will take this Grand Cinema projector to a higher level.

The new HT200DM projector - based on the new 480p DLP? component set by Texas Instruments - has been designed specifically to match the 16:9 widescreen standard. The HT200DM provides two different resolution modes (selectable by remote control):

1. the 16:9 widescreen standard with a resolution of 848 x 480 pixels - the HT200DM delivers top quality, distortion-free images without artefacts resulting from digital down-scaling.

2. the normal 4:3 video format with a resolution of 800 x600 pixels ˜ best for computer image display or traditional 4:3 video sources (VHS, etc.).

Also, the HT200DM is equipped with a new 6-segment colour wheel (instead of the 4-segment normally used) that, by increasing the frequency of the coloured images, mitigates the colour separation artefacts (also called "rainbow effect") which are visible to a small part of the population.

The colour wheel is customised to SIM2 specifications having a larger Red segment and smaller Green and Blue segments. Indeed, this new, state-of-the-art colour wheel further improves the colorimetry of the image displayed.

So if you are looking for excellent colour balance and saturation, and you have top quality video processing equipment and DVD players, the HT200DM will deliver every bit of information in those signals onto your screen. Indeed, handling clear, content-rich signals is where the HT200DM shines.

The HT200DM will be unveiled for the first time at the 2001 Home Entertainment Show (New York, 11-13 May 2001). Availability is forecasted for June 2001.

Powerful and fully compatible with a wide range of multimedia signal sources, yet very small, light and stylish, SIM2's HT200DM provides the ideal solution for users who want to have a future-ready projection system in place to meet the growing demand for 16:9 images without pre-processing.

With these new special features, SIM2 continues to raise the bar of excellence in projector performance.

TECHNICAL FEATURES

LIGHT ENGINE

DLPTM Type: Proprietary sealed optical engine based on 1 DMDTM chip, dusty proof

Resolution (pixel)Dual mode: 800 x600 and 848 x 480

Lens: High quality and resolution zoom with both motorised zoom and focus adjustments

Throw Ratio: 2.2 - 3.0:1

Focus Range: 2.2 - 13.5 m

Lamp power Consumption & Life Time: 120W

UHP for 6000 hours

INSTALLATION

Optical Keystone Adjustment: +/-10°

Digital Keystone Adjustment: +/-17°

Picture Size: 50-250 inches diagonal.

Aspect Ratio: 4:3, 16:9, anamorphic, letter box plus 3 user adjustments

ELECTRONICS

Horizontal & Vertical Scan Freq.: 15 ˜ 80KHz / 48 ˜ 100 Hz (max horizontal freq. corresponding to UXGA, 60Hz)

Video Standards and Graphic Resolutions: PAL B,G,H,I,M,N,60, SECAM, NTSC 3.58 & 4.43 automatically selected HDTV: ATSC (480p, 720p, 1080i; EC Graphic standard:VGA, SVGA, XGA, UXGA (1600 x 1200 pixel)

Line Doubler: Proprietary on board deinterlacer

Brightness Uniformity: better than 95%

Contrast Ratio (full On / full Off): > 600:1

Colour Temperature: 3 preset colour temperatures selectable by remote control

Special Video Adjustment: Luma-Choma Delay Adjustment by OSD

INPUTS/OUTPUTS

1 Composite video via RCA connectors

1 S-VHS via mini Din 4 pin

1 RGBHV via Dsub 15 (PC input)

1 x RGBS/YCrCbS via 4xRCA connectors

1 Remote Input Interface, type Microcross P&DA (EVC), Standard VESA

1 x RS232 on Dsub 9 pins connector

1 x jack 12V power output, active when the projector is ON

1 x jack 12V power output, active when 16:9 format is selected (max 12V power output 100 mA)

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS

Control: Control Software can be upgraded via RS232 serial interface

Power Consumption: 170 W max

Mains Voltage Range: 120 - 240 Vac, +/- 10% (48/62 Hz)

Weight: 5 Kg

Cabinet Dimensions (W x H x D): 350x167x318 mm

Certifications - Safety: In compliance with EN 60950/UL 1950; Vibration: conform to IEC 68-2-6; Emission: In compliance with EN 55022 class B/150KHz - 30MHz Recyclable packaging.

Supplied Accessories: AC power cords (EU, UK and USA), length 3m. User standard remote control with batteries. Installation and user manual

[This message has been edited by Holger Klingspohr (edited 05-02-2001).]

· Registered
4,351 Posts
Wasnt the *original* HT200 supposed to have a 6-segment color wheel? And now this post seems to suggest that (the original) has a 4-segment wheel? Whats a 4-segment wheel doing in a premium HT projector? (as opposed to a 3-segment wheel)

Andy K.

· Registered
90 Posts
I am slightly confused...is there a new panel on this version of the HT200? Is it 848x600? How else would it be able to do the 848x480?

So if this is true then this means some new possibilities:

Run 848x480, throw an anamorphic lense in front of it, and have 2.35:1

Run 848x600 full panel with an anamorphic lense using Powerstrip and have 16:9 at a slightly higher res than 800x600 full panel w/ anamorphic

· Registered
6,225 Posts
I don't accept #1:

"the 16:9 widescreen standard with a resolution of 848 x 480 pixels - the HT200DM delivers top quality, distortion-free images without artefacts resulting from digital down-scaling."

How can this be? It would appear to be adequate for the 480p mode of HDTV, but 1080i and 720p would both be downscaled - 1080i would require 1920X540 pixels to avoid downscaling (although 1280X540 would suffice for many sources which only use 1280 horizontal pixels) and 720p would require 1280X720 pixels.

I know it's advertizing copy, but they should not quote specifications that bely the claims being made in the same press release.

Gary

· Registered
111 Posts
I find "rainbow visible to a small segment of the population" funny. The population doesn't seem that small based on all the posts I've read here. I hope the six segment wheel works.

I wonder if the entire panel will be addressable via HTPC. That could lead to some interesting combinations.

I wonder if they'll discontinue the standard HT200. Seems reasonable if their new product is successful.

Thanks for the post.

------------------

Jim Lauritzen

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kromkamp:
Wasnt the *original* HT200 supposed to have a 6-segment color wheel? And now this post seems to suggest that (the original) has a 4-segment wheel?
The original HT200 was special because it had a color wheel with an unusual small clear section (plus a true red section). I believe the term 'double frame rate' that sprang up in a HT200 discussion caused some confusion (frame rate is 30Hz - must be truely horrible to watch on a one chip DLP).

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Kang:
Is it 848x600? How else would it be able to do the 848x480?
Yes - I believe all SVGA DMDs have always been 848x600. However, until now the control chips couldn't make use of it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary McCoy:
It would appear to be adequate for the 480p mode of HDTV, but 1080i and 720p would both be downscaled
They don't sell it as an HDTV projector (that will come later probably). If you want to nitpick you should complain that it has to downscale 576x50Hz sources - which, ironically, is the video standard in Italy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulo:
IMHO this is a major improvement to the DLPs projectors.
I agree. Taken in context with the Plus Piano announcement, it means that TI's new HT-optimized DMD driver chips are now ready. No doubt there will be more projectors using this technology.

Holger

· Registered
352 Posts
Hello,

does anybody know if the mentioned specs for focus range ( 2.2-13.5m ) and resulting picture size ( 50-250 inches diagonal ) are for 4:3 or 16:9? My room is a little bit smaller than usual and with the present 200HT I must use an Isco. It seems that the new Ht200DM makes a bigger picture.

Thanks, Walter.

------------------

Graz, hometown of the Terminator...

· Registered
23 Posts
The standard HT200 will not be discontinued, the Dual Mode version is simply an addition to the Grand Cinema series.

Unfortunately the new TI component set is not available as a upgrade for existing HT200 owners.

Kind Regards

Alan Roser

Technical Director

Owl Video Systems Ltd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.