AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
If your projector and DoiP were manufactured in September 2003, there are hardware upgrades.

Only a very small number of people in the US received their projectors in late Sept, Early October.

-- Cain

·
Registered
425 Posts
Greg,

My Link was one of the very first in the UK so had all the hardware upgrades and latest software and it is performing superbly.

The picture quality using HDMI is first class. I think we have reached the limit of current DVD resolution.

Roll on Hi Def DVD !!!

Jeff

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume the same is true for the extra. My Home Theater is set up so I can shoot the projector out of the back closet to the screen in front of the room. I do not need the link because of that. I have waiting for all these difficulties to be worked out before upgrading. However, after going to CES I might want to wait for the next model to come out or see if the 3 chip dlp will drop in price. I want to get one good projector with great color, good blacks, long throw distance and a reasonablely bright picture. My question is the extra that projector? Thanks Greg

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi Greg,

IMHO the Xtra would be a good choice if your equipment is near the PJ and the Xtra has enough inputs.

The menu is more sophisticated on the Link, ie. you can name inputs etc.

Check your PM

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Greg

The extra does sound like a good choice for you. The extra did not have the issues found on the Link. It is already running perfect.

Regarding your hope for a price drop in a few months on the 3 chips, expect them all to ship end Feb into March. Im being told March.

20k and up will be the magic number for the cheaper 3 chips. Dont expect to see any of them street any cheaper. Most will be in the upper 20k range and higher.

If you can get something at 20k grab it. The Dwin or the DP Mercury HD will be the only choices at that price.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Are these new 3 chippers going to be big boxes or have they found a way to make them smaller? The only 3 chipper I've seen is the Runco, and it was about the size of a Volkswagen.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Greg,

I have the XTRA since three month and I´m very satisfied. The picture quality is very good in comparison with other projectors; in dark scenes you can see nearly every detail; the lamp only needs 120W and its life with 8000 hours is unbeatable.

I have also made a comparison with a HTPC via DVI, but I really can´t see a remarkable difference to the YUV-signal (Denon 2900).

I have additional bought the RI2-Interface (breakout box). So, I have enough input options and don´t need to move the projector every time I want to connect another device. I saved nearly 3.000 € and the Link doesn´t have a better picture.

Good luck and let me know, when you have bought this projector, because I´m interested in your experiences.

Bernd

·
Registered
425 Posts
The Sim2 3 chipper, the 500 Link is a lot smaller than a VW, in fact it's smaller than a Mini !!!

We should see the first one in the UK any day now.

Jeff

·
Registered
425 Posts
Alan,

I will call our Alan (Roser) at Sim2 UK tomorrow for an update unless he reads this and replies himself.

Jeff

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am having 2 problem with my Link:

problem no:1 sometimes when I switch on the Link , the pj is out of focus and zoom.

The 2nd problem I just noticed last nite, the lamp hour is gone back to zero it just registered the 2 hours of dvd I played last nite previous hours has been erased.

It seems that the pj having some problem with memory.

Any suggestion how to resolve these problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.