AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the new SIM2 Grand Cinema RTX DLP monitor? I happened to see one displaying a signal from a hard disc recorder. The picture quality was the best I have seen. A friend who was also present was also so impressed he was willing to buy the set immediately. I talked him out of this impulsive purchase until we researched a little further.

We viewed this set in Bangkok and had a problem trying to communicate with the sales staff as to what type of signal the set was being fed. They insisted it was a NTSC signal prerecorded in Japan. They also said that a feed from a good dvd player was even better than what we were seeing.

This is a very expensive monitor as the 45†list price is over 10k and the 55†approaching 13k. Although any comparison to the DLP-TV’s from other manufacturers may be unfair, I am still interested in knowing how this unit would stack-up against the Samsung or Panasonic DLP models regarding picture quality.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Well, they all use the same HD-2 DMD chip, so essentially they are all the same. Differences would have to be other parts of the light engine (different bulb, different color wheel, etc.), as well as other electronics within the set.

The contrast ratio specified for that particular set is extremely high, but it must have other features to justify the price since the contrast is one thing that I am extremely happy with on my Samsung.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have just taken on the RTX here in the UK.

The 55 sells for £9k and the 45 for £8k.

I have a 55 and it is the best rear projection picture I have seen.

It went down a storm at the UK Cedia show her last week.

Fed with a high def source, the picture is like looking out of a window ( an open one of course!)

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
I saw the 55" set at the San Francisco Home Entertainment Expo earlier in June. They had it at the back of the room where they were demoing there front projector. It was so dark you couldn't see the black case. It looked good with a HD demo of some kind.

The room was so crowded and the set is so far out of my price range that I want on to the Samsung and Sony rooms. I can't see a 140% price difference being worthwhile.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It's art. That's why it costs a fortune.

I hate to be rude (and also not to be among this group): The Sim2 is for people who are price indifferent. People complaining about the price of it are not the target customer. Sorry.

Oh, and it's easily the best picture of the DLP RPTVs, including all the prospective models.

Mark

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
It's art. That's why it costs a fortune.

Mark
That's why I wanted to see it in the first place. I should have taken a flash light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.