AVS Forum banner

281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
There’s definitely some 4k content with slightly raised black levels.
To my eyes, it definitely looks like more than "slightly". Regardless, this SIM2 PJ appears to have the potential to hold a candle to the very best from Christie despite all its cons. My interest in this PJ hasn't waned despite all the recent Christie/Sony products coming out.....

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
To my eyes, it definitely looks like more than "slightly". Regardless, this SIM2 PJ appears to have the potential to hold a candle to the very best from Christie despite all its cons. My interest in this PJ hasn't waned despite all the recent Christie/Sony products coming out.....
“Slightly” is a subjective term for sure. If I was in the market I would demo both first however possible.

·
Registered
527 Posts
“Slightly” is a subjective term for sure. If I was in the market I would demo both first however possible.
Right; no, I won't be looking for another 2 years for sure (have learnt to live with the Pros & Cons of 5000ES for now). Looks like Christie may be the way to go - will be interesting to see, what else, if anything, may surface in the PJ world in the foreseeable future.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Right; no, I won't be looking for another 2 years for sure (have learnt to live with the Pros & Cons of 5000ES for now). Looks like Christie may be the way to go - will be interesting to see, what else, if anything, may surface in the PJ world in the foreseeable future.
Nice. That’s about the buy cycle where I’m at too. I have a JVC RS540 that I’m been using and living with for now. I demoed lots of high lumen projectors and I couldn’t live with the high black levels. I wish I could mix the JVCs native with a 3 chip DLP.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Can the HDR Duo do double stack passive 3D since it contains two projectors in one? Or is one of them not capable of being as bright as the other or something, they're meant to complement each other in 2D but not be identical to each other to do passive 3D?

I'm curious what the Duo goes for used these days? If you cant talk price in the thread, please PM me.

I noticed in general a lot of projector experts in this thread, and since this thread relates to a double lens projector, and even among experts I've yet to find anyone who can answer these questions yet, I am wondering, do any of you have any experience or knowledge about the exact wavelengths that Infitec (newer version) and Omega 3D filters (both versions) filter for each projector in a double stack?

Separate but related question: hypothetically, say my projectors red wavelength is 620, their green is 530, and their blue is 460, what wavelength would then be their cyan, and what wavelength would be their yellow?

In other words, how is the wavelength calculated when you combine two primary colors to make a third color? Do you add the two together, and then divide by two, or how does it work? These calculations affect my 3D stack question and might have bearing on whether my current projectors can work with certain 3D filters, or whether I'd be better off with the HDR Duo for instance, although, it may be out of my price range and I'd rather not have to sell what I only bought recently.

But those are my questions. Any help from the experts in this thread would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
751 Posts
"Or is one of them not capable of being as bright as the other or something, they're meant to complement each other in 2D but not be identical to each other to do passive 3D?"

Correct, NOT Possible.

Reactions: Technology3456

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am not sure you will find a used "SIM2 HDR Duo Plus Stack" on the second hand market - but you can still buy it new

If you want to build a stack for passive 3D (Infitec, Omega, polarization) most guys in europe use an Epson LCD or the Vivitek H1188/89 (1.Chip DLP) which is way cheaper and outperformes the Epson regarding 3D.
In case you need help there are several threads in german forums (PM for the links)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Can the HDR Duo do double stack passive 3D since it contains two projectors in one? Or is one of them not capable of being as bright as the other or something, they're meant to complement each other in 2D but not be identical to each other to do passive 3D?
The 3D uses Tripple-flash with proprietary Sim2 glasses. Once the glasses lock in, it is by far the best 3D I’ve seen with images projecting well off the screen into the seating area.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The 3D uses Tripple-flash with proprietary Sim2 glasses. Once the glasses lock in, it is by far the best 3D I’ve seen with images projecting well off the screen into the seating area.
Interesting! So, somehow, Sim2 adds significant additional pop beyond what's baked into the 3D content? To my eyes, 75% of 3D movie content is quite underwhelming and can't hold a candle to the best IMAX 3D documentaries, although I'm happy with the brightness level from my 5000ES. Sounds like Sim2 enhances the content somehow? Don't know what exactly Triple-flash technology is although I've heard about it various times. Does no other PJ use this?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Interesting! So, somehow, Sim2 adds significant additional pop beyond what's baked into the 3D content? To my eyes, 75% of 3D movie content is quite underwhelming and can't hold a candle to the best IMAX 3D documentaries, although I'm happy with the brightness level from my 5000ES. Sounds like Sim2 enhances the content somehow? Don't know what exactly Triple-flash technology is although I've heard about it various times. Does no other PJ use this?
When you say IMAX 3D documentaries, are you referring to seeing them in IMAX 3D in the theater, or you just mean the IMAX 3D documentary blu ray discs you can play at home?

I am trying to gauge if you are saying that IMAX 3D is better quality 3D than Dolby or something along those lines, and if so, which version of IMAX 3D, because they used to do linear polarization sometimes at 0/90 offset, then the norm for awhile I think was linear polarization at 45/135 (an improvement I think), and then maybe now they use laser 3D or something else that I dont know if it's better or worse than linear 45/135 3D or how either compare to Dolby 3D and so on.

But would like to learn about that.

·
Registered
527 Posts
When you say IMAX 3D documentaries, are you referring to seeing them in IMAX 3D in the theater, or you just mean the IMAX 3D documentary blu ray discs you can play at home?

I am trying to gauge if you are saying that IMAX 3D is better quality 3D than Dolby or something along those lines, and if so, which version of IMAX 3D, because they used to do linear polarization sometimes at 0/90 offset, then the norm for awhile I think was linear polarization at 45/135 (an improvement I think), and then maybe now they use laser 3D or something else that I dont know if it's better or worse than linear 45/135 3D or how either compare to Dolby 3D and so on.

But would like to learn about that.
I'm referring to the IMAX 3D blu-ray discs, many of which have significantly greater pop and depth (mostly depth) compared to 3D feature films...

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Most Hollywood 3D movies are 2D to 3D conversions that leave lots to be desired. Most of these have very little if any Negative parallax (objects existing between you and the screen) and focus more on Positive parallax (objects existing from the screen and behind it). IMAX documenteries are shot in 3D mostly and dont rely on conversion process. Also they use lots of Negative parallax.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
High onscreen contrast produces depth in all pictures, even regular blurays look almost 3D from the screen back (UHD’s even more so). The high onscreen contrast effect on 3D can extend the depth from the screen forward as well. This is particularly true with animated movies.

·
Registered
527 Posts
High onscreen contrast produces depth in all pictures, even regular blurays look almost 3D from the screen back (UHD’s even more so). The high onscreen contrast effect on 3D can extend the depth from the screen forward as well. This is particularly true with animated movies.
Without ever seeing this PJ in action, it does appear revolutionary in more ways than one; its compact footprint is a huge Pro. It might hold it's own against the likes of Griffyn or the Sony 380 for certain reasons. I might be in the ultra-micro minority, of course, in considering switching from my 5000ES to this one in the next year or so :). Will probably PM you whenever the time comes to make an informed decision.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Without ever seeing this PJ in action, it does appear revolutionary in more ways than one; its compact footprint is a huge Pro. It might hold it's own against the likes of Griffyn or the Sony 380 for certain reasons. I might be in the ultra-micro minority, of course, in considering switching from my 5000ES to this one in the next year or so :). Will probably PM you whenever the time comes to make an informed decision.
You should call Alan Gouger to discuss. He could arrange for you to look at both the Duo+ and the Griffin HC.

281 - 296 of 296 Posts